[SOLVED] CPU Cooler and Thermal Paste Replacement

aciddemon123

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
Hi,

I have two questions related to my CPU, i have a Coolermaster Seidon 120V v2 on top of my i5 4690 for about 3-4 years now and do i need to replace the water or something?

Also, my CPU temps go to a max of 79º degrees celsius when i have two games open at the same time, should i replace the thermal paste ? If yes, can i do it right after i shutdown my computer or do i need to wait for it to cool down?

Thanks.

Solution
You dont stand to lose anything by replacing the paste, so go head and do that.
Typically its best to replace it when the system is cool, but sometimes old paste can "glue" the waterblock to the processor, so letting it run for a few minutes before you turn it off and repaste is a good idea to get it softer.
You have a CLC (closed loop cooler) you should not have to replace water.
Around 64-70 degrees, 3/4 years without replacing paste is bad, right? And dont forget im using a water cooler so it should be running even cooler im guessing...

If it was me I would reapply the paste but others might say different but just redo the paste again and check the temps also never done water cooler before but along as the water is still making your pc cool then dont think that needs changing.

You dont stand to lose anything by replacing the paste, so go head and do that.
Typically its best to replace it when the system is cool, but sometimes old paste can "glue" the waterblock to the processor, so letting it run for a few minutes before you turn it off and repaste is a good idea to get it softer.
You have a CLC (closed loop cooler) you should not have to replace water.

Solution