aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
so im looking to replace my cpu cooler from a prebuit.
my specs rn are
CPU:intel 17 8700k
MB: asrck z390 Phantom Gaming 4-IB
im not sure on what cooler i have since the parts dont say anything and the builder wont tell me.
so im looking to replace the cooler and everywhere i look they say Noctua nh-D15.
it will fit in my case but is this overkill?
should i go for the nh-u12S?
if i get the D15 how long will it last for me? will it just be a once purchase and if it doesnt break ill never need to replace?

Solution
If you're going to overclock the cpu, it's not.

Are you sure it'll fit in your chassis? The NH-D15 has a max height of 165mm, from the top of the cpu's IHS to the point where the side panel would be if the chassis were closed.
That's not taking ram height into account either, as this cooler's front fan sits over low profile stick with no issue. Taller kits will either force you to raise the front fan, or move it to the back of the 2nd tower - which the NF-A15s don't seem to like.
Above 1000rpm, there's some kind of audible turbulence - I don't know how else to describe it - the blades aren't making contact with the heatsink or...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you're going to overclock the cpu, it's not.

Are you sure it'll fit in your chassis? The NH-D15 has a max height of 165mm, from the top of the cpu's IHS to the point where the side panel would be if the chassis were closed.
That's not taking ram height into account either, as this cooler's front fan sits over low profile stick with no issue. Taller kits will either force you to raise the front fan, or move it to the back of the 2nd tower - which the NF-A15s don't seem to like.
Above 1000rpm, there's some kind of audible turbulence - I don't know how else to describe it - the blades aren't making contact with the heatsink or anything like that, but it doesn't sound pleasant, and that's only as a pull fan.

should i go for the nh-u12S?
It's 158mm tall.
Cooling for stock operation, it's fine. You won't be pushing a high overclock with it though.

if i get the D15 how long will it last for me? will it just be a once purchase and if it doesnt break ill never need to replace?
The heatsink will last a lifetime. The fan(s) will need to be replaced like every several years?

Solution
I have a 12s Noctua, the black version with push pull w/n12s. It really is the quietest/best cooling air cooler I have used. Its also super easy to fit. No need for an AIO anymore. I also have an 8700k but its running at 4.7ghz all core. Havent pushed 5.0ghz cuz I dont really need to.