Jan 14, 2022
Hi guys, recently i got an i5 11400f on a sale with a Z590 Gaming X from gigabyte for 1130PLN which was a really good price. I fully "unlocked" it and its drawing 155W. The stock cooler is just fine, going up to 75C on a 30min cinebench benchmark but its loud AF even when im doing anything and its idling at about 45C so im in a market for something better. Im looking for near silent operation. Will Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo be enough or do i need a Scythe Fuma 2 for a quiet build? Those are the best price to performance coolers here at 190 and 280PLN respectively. Also lets say that i would want to run an 11900, will the fuma be enough? Cuz Im sure freezer 34 won't.

Solution
Is Cinebench reflective of what you use the system for?

Without question, either cooler would be good with an 11400. But the FUMA 2 doing it for ~50% more than the other option? That's a hard pill to swallow.
Reminds me why I can't in good conscience ever recommend the NH-U12A to anyone: it's a great air cooler, but too darn expensive. Noctua's awesome Secu-firm mounting kit, plus dual NF-A12x25 fans is not enough to justify that ridiculous price.
Sadly, there's very few reviews out there that actually put the FUMA 2 on a big cpu that would push it hard enough to show its weaknesses:
-FUMA 2's lighter weight leads it to start falling behind heavier air coolers on higher heat load chips, or in scenarios where you have the cpu sucking...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is Cinebench reflective of what you use the system for?

Without question, either cooler would be good with an 11400. But the FUMA 2 doing it for ~50% more than the other option? That's a hard pill to swallow.
Reminds me why I can't in good conscience ever recommend the NH-U12A to anyone: it's a great air cooler, but too darn expensive. Noctua's awesome Secu-firm mounting kit, plus dual NF-A12x25 fans is not enough to justify that ridiculous price.
Sadly, there's very few reviews out there that actually put the FUMA 2 on a big cpu that would push it hard enough to show its weaknesses:
-FUMA 2's lighter weight leads it to start falling behind heavier air coolers on higher heat load chips, or in scenarios where you have the cpu sucking power willy-nilly.
-The cooler has no extra headroom available to it either, due to the low noise focused fans. What you get out of the box is pretty much it.

I would argue that both FUMA 2 and Freezer 34 could have trouble with an 11900 if you just raise the power limits, as well as both coolers being capable of handling it ok if the cpu is reigned in; there's reviews out there with the 11900K on small coolers, and they manage with few performance deficits, as long as the cpu isn't allowed to go full retard.
All coolers will benefit from toning down the voltage the cpu normally gets on auto, leading to easier to manage thermals and power use.

TL;DR: I think my response is more, "don't just 'unlock' it"[assuming Cinebench reflects the main use of the PC. Because for CB and the like, the Intel-defined power limits are a bit conservative and do get in the way].

Solution
Jan 14, 2022
I'm using my PC for video editing a lot so i need that "unlock", there really is a difference. And my main question was will the r34 be a lot louder than the fuma 2? I know that both of those can handle an i5 just fine, I'm just really sensitive to noise, even my HDD's spinning up annoys me and i want to replace them all with SSD's for mass storage.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I believe no one can answer this for you. Besides (dBA), we all have different sounds/pitch that we'll notice more than others - or less so.
For example: Noctua fans are generally pretty balanced in performance to noise level, but some folks out there would say they can't stand 'em due to a humming motor. I've used some, but haven't picked up on said hum.
Or maybe another brand of fans that are supposed to be quiet, but you can still hear this 'buzzing' from them. You could drag several other people in your room to listen to the noise, but only a couple might pick up on it.

I'm using my PC for video editing a lot so i need that "unlock", there really is a difference. And my main question was will the r34 be a lot louder than the fuma 2? I know that both of those can handle an i5 just fine, I'm just really sensitive to noise, even my HDD's spinning up annoys me and i want to replace them all with SSD's for mass storage.
Dark Rock 4, it can cool 180W and is relatively quiet.

Hi guys, recently i got an i5 11400f on a sale with a Z590 Gaming X from gigabyte for 1130PLN which was a really good price. I fully "unlocked" it and its drawing 155W. The stock cooler is just fine, going up to 75C on a 30min cinebench benchmark but its loud AF even when im doing anything and its idling at about 45C so im in a market for something better. Im looking for near silent operation. Will Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo be enough or do i need a Scythe Fuma 2 for a quiet build? Those are the best price to performance coolers here at 190 and 280PLN respectively. Also lets say that i would want to run an 11900, will the fuma be enough? Cuz Im sure freezer 34 won't.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...Qu6ggFslkiTvhJNdZ38aApA1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Go with this water cooler and use artic mx-5, I have this on my core i4 9400F, when my cpu auto clocks itself to 4.0ghz, the tempatures stay low all year long.

TRENDING THREADS