[SOLVED] CPU cooler installation on Asus Z490 plus

timdf911

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Hi guys,
a bit puzzled here, I've built lots of PCs over the years without any problems but my latest build has a problem - I think ?

It uses an Asus Z490 plus with an Intel core 10 i9 processor lga1200. I bought a Cooler Master H412r heatsink which claims to fit but I find the metal bracket which comes with the cooler collides with the CPU MB bracket which is already attached to the underside of the MB.

Any ideas / suggestions on this one ? Currently using the stock cooler which came with the CPU but it reaches 76C at 40% cpu load so would like to get this cooler to fit.

Regards Tim

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm, I haven't encountered this so far, but that could be an issue. If it is, I would log a ticket with Cooler Master about it - either they didn't measure correctly or the motherboard is slightly out of spec.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The backplate likely should have cutouts for the screws on the LGA support piece - the testing rig for Tom's Hardware that I use is a Z490 board also and most cooler backplates have to be oriented specifically to allow for this. Can you tell if you aligned these?

This is from the Noctua NH D15 i'm testing with and technically is only compatible with 115x, but 1200 also has the same mounting pattern and size.

HlO5sAJ.jpg

timdf911

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Thanks for the reply - basic problem is the rectangular hole in the H412r cooler bracket hits / clashes with the bracket already on the bottom of the MB. I'll pull everything apart and try and fit it again but this time take some photo's.
Regards Tim

timdf911

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Hi, I've managed to fit the heatsink - it was just a little fiddly to get all the holes aligned ok.

I found that the heat sink mounting bracket fits on the MB CPU frame on the underside ok, it was just that I didn't expect it to fit that way.

Anyway all's well that ends well and the CPU temp is now 59C as opposed to mid 70's before so a worthwhile improvement in the cooling.

Regards Tim