[SOLVED] CPU cooling Deepcool Heatsink.

Jul 15, 2019
Dear Tom's Hardware.
I just bought myself a new Deep cool ALTA7 heatsink & fan but noticed it has a 3-pin connecter and not a 4-pin.
Which is fine its running well, but I'm thinking its running to fast, perhaps making noise.
if so id like to change the CPU fan to and good average recommended speed, but I don't know what the recommended voltage in Bios would be.
I know I can change the Fan voltage on my GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard but what setting would be best.
Currently it set on silent but would that be the correct setting for a 3-pin fan.
Your advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Derek

Solution
Before replacing that fan, try this adjustment in BIOS Setup. A 3-pin fan plugged into a mobo fan header that uses the newer PWM Mode to control will always run full speed. To control that fan's speed, the fan header configuration needs to be set differently. See your manual, p. 47. Set it to "Voltage", then use "Esc" to return to the Main Menu. There choose the SAVE and EXIT item at bottom right (see p. 58) and again choose SAVE and EXIT to save your settings and reboot. This will allow the CPU_FAN header to control the speed of your cooler's 3-pin fan properly. If it still appears too fast all the time (you can observe the fan speed on p.46, PC Health Status), then you are not getting enough cooling and your problem may not be simply...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before replacing that fan, try this adjustment in BIOS Setup. A 3-pin fan plugged into a mobo fan header that uses the newer PWM Mode to control will always run full speed. To control that fan's speed, the fan header configuration needs to be set differently. See your manual, p. 47. Set it to "Voltage", then use "Esc" to return to the Main Menu. There choose the SAVE and EXIT item at bottom right (see p. 58) and again choose SAVE and EXIT to save your settings and reboot. This will allow the CPU_FAN header to control the speed of your cooler's 3-pin fan properly. If it still appears too fast all the time (you can observe the fan speed on p.46, PC Health Status), then you are not getting enough cooling and your problem may not be simply a weak fan.

Solution