[SOLVED] CPU Cooling - Noctua DH15 Single Fan/DH15S vs Scythe Fuma 2 with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in NZXT H510i + concerns about whether an AOI could fit in my build

Nov 28, 2021
TL;DR: Want advice on which is preferable for CPU cooling, a Noctua DH15 Single Fan vs a Scythe Fuma 2 with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in an NZXT H510i Case, given concerns that an AOI wouldn't fit in the case

Hello, I am a bit conflicted in regards to cooling my new CPU and was wondering if I could ask for some advice. I love pc gaming but I tend to rely on advice from more experienced and knowledgeable people in matters such as these as I'm not tremendously knowledgeable about computer parts.

I built a pc last year assuming I'd still use consoles primarily for gaming, but ended up preferring the pc massively and have begun to upgrade it. My current build is this:
- NZXT H510i Case, Gigabyte RTX 3080ti, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB (2 x 8 GB), MSI X570 Gaming Edge Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Corsair 750W PSU

My previous GPU was a 2060 and I have upgraded this, and my next part to upgrade is my CPU. I settled on the Ryzen 9 5900X and have purchased this, and am pending installation but I need a cooler. I was originally going to go with a NZXT Kraken X63, however the length of the GPU means there's only approximately 6.3 cm between the front radiator mount in the case and the edge of the GPU so I am concerned this would be a tight fit, if not something that doesn't fit, and that this would impact cooling performance. I'd be happy to go for an AOI were I to be mistaken about this though.

A couple of friends suggested air cooling is a very good option these days and one recommended a Noctua DH15. However upon looking into this, I don't think the second fan would clear my RAM (if I'm wrong here please let me know), so if I were to purchase this I think I would need to use it single fan mode, or purchase the single fan DH15S

An option I have seen good reviews on which apparently has unlimited RAM clearance provided I have understood correctly is the Scythe Fuma 2. It also seems slightly less tall than the Noctua which is good as a rough measure would indicate my case has roughly space for 17.5 cm. However I'm aware that Noctuas are generally referenced as the better cooler. I should say too that I'm not bothered about the price difference between them, I'd rather just spend whatever is necessary on getting good cooling that would last.

A final concern is my case. I absolutely love the thing because the very angular, minimalistic white exterior is gorgeous, but I am aware it doesn't have exactly incredible airflow which admittedly has never proven an issue thus far, but I do think it's worth flagging as I worry that this would make air cooling the CPU not viable

So yeah that's the long and short of it. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this matter they'd be able to share? Thank you very much in advance to anyone who is able to reply, and please let me know if there's any further useful information I can provide, or whether I need to clarify anything from the above text

Solution
A final concern is my case. I absolutely love the thing because the very angular, minimalistic white exterior is gorgeous, but I am aware it doesn't have exactly incredible airflow which admittedly has never proven an issue thus far, but I do think it's worth flagging as I worry that this would make air cooling the CPU not viable
You have this one a little backwards. It makes the AIO a little less viable and the air cooler more viable. AIOs are just as dependent on good airflow as air coolers are, if not more dependent.
The radiator presents greater air resistance than the heatsinks on air coolers, and you have to install it against one of the chassis panels - you can make this easier on the fans, or you can make this...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have this one a little backwards. It makes the AIO a little less viable and the air cooler more viable. AIOs are just as dependent on good airflow as air coolers are, if not more dependent.
The radiator presents greater air resistance than the heatsinks on air coolers, and you have to install it against one of the chassis panels - you can make this easier on the fans, or you can make this harder, depending on where it's installed.
The optimal location for an AIO radiator is against an open mesh panel.
The air cooler is near the center and its fan(s) have more breathing room.

H510 front panel + front mounted AIO = stacking a bunch of air resistance and making it harder for the AIOs fans to bring air in - even if the fans are mounted behind the rad in pull.
Gonna end up being less effective than a good air cooler here.

A couple of friends suggested air cooling is a very good option these days and one recommended a Noctua DH15. However upon looking into this, I don't think the second fan would clear my RAM (if I'm wrong here please let me know), so if I were to purchase this I think I would need to use it single fan mode, or purchase the single fan DH15S
Just to try and clear this up, it's Vengeance RGB, and not Vengeance RGB Pro, right?
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051011331-DDR4-memory-module-dimensions (The older and now discontinued CMR SKU isn't listed, but it was 44mm tall.)

H510 has a limit of 165mm tall.
The NH-D15 is also 165mm tall. The front fan has clearance for 31mm tall low profile modules. Since the ram is too tall, the fan needs to be moved to the back of the 2nd tower, or removed entirely.
But even then, there's no guarantee the cooler will fit, because of the heatsink height and chassis clearance. In a perfect world, it should fit...

TL;DR: Scythe FUMA 2 looking like a big winner here.
NH-D15S - you won't be able to install a 25mm thick fan at the top. I know from personal experience.
NH-D15 - even if you find pictures of one in a H500 chassis, there's no guarantee it'll fit for you. The smallest manufacturing defect with the cooler/mobo/chassis could make it to where you won't be able to close your side panel.

Solution