CPU Cooling OC Help

ExpertAmateur

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
I have the Intel BXTS15A CPU Cooler

My processor is the i5 6600K

Whenever I decide that I want to try overclocking this cpu, would this cooler be sufficient enough or should I go for the 212 evo? Thanks.

Solution

Something like the H55 is an...

You mean loud? Lol

And he's right... These coolers without any heatpipes or vapor chambers have to rev their fans up to a rather high speed to get any reasonable amount of heat dissipation to occur. The Hyper 212 Evo would also make your machine quieter.

I mean, that cooler is bigger than the stock cooler for many Intel CPUs, but it still doesn't have any heatpipes or vapor chambers, and I cannot find anywhere that states what the base is made out of, or what material connects the base to the fins. With all of this information (and a lack of in some areas) I conclude that this isn't the best cooler for overclocking.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

I have very independently minded fingers ;) They don't always do as told ;)

I have this laptop where some of the keys are missing their stickers... I've even worn down the little extrusions on the F and J keys... Typing on this thing is horrible.

I know, just replace the keyboard already. I've had a new one for almost a month now. IDK why I just let it sit there Lol

Taylor Trotter

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
If im being completely honest, i would look at a simple AIO cooler like the x31 from nzxt or the h55 from corsair, they are quite nice for a minor overclokc, and ill provide you with the same temperatures, withthe added bonus of having generally quieter fans and better TDP Capacity for dissipation. https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydro-Quiet-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B009VV56TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465616132&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+h55 if you are loking for a decent upgrade to your system with the benefit of less overall noise and fuss, this is an install and forget AIO, had one in my brother's APU system for months and never had issues, then i would honestly look at these entry level AIOs.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Something like the H55 is an option, yes, but louder than the EVO or the H7, doesn't cool as well as either, and cost about twice as much (H55 roughly $60 vs +/- $30 for either the 212 or the H7

Solution

Taylor Trotter

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
While my experience with the EVO is limited, I can state from experience that the h55, while noticeably louder that SP optimized aftermarket variants like vardar fans or noctuas, the entire unit is vastly quieter than the stock Cooler he has. I'm not sure to what information you refer as to the cooling capacity, as the EVO has a lower max TDP dissipation that the h55. for reference, the corsair runs with a dBA rating of 30.32, compared to the 212 evo's rating of up to 36 dBA. both are very nearly inaudible even at full speed in a closed case.

ExpertAmateur

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Sorry for tons of questions, I've never really dealt with coolers before...

This is my build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Intel BXTS15A CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Would the Hyper 212 EVO provide cool enough temps while idling, gaming, and rendering video? If not, which cooler should I go with that's under $50 USD? I really want to pick up a cooler soon.
For reference on temps, I live in New Jersey (USA). Thanks so much everyone.

ExpertAmateur

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks so much everyone. I'll get it when I see a good price. A friend gave one to me that only has one of the mounting brackets (the back one) and the actual fan/heatsink piece itself. The unused sticker is still on the bottom of the cooler, and I can provide pictures if necessary. Box is in perfect condition, only missing the front bracket and the bag of screws/paste. If anyone wants it, let me know and we can figure things out.

Additionally, if anyone knows where I can find the screws I need, let me know. It's cheaper for me to just get those than to sell this one and get an entire new cooler.