Question CPU Core and Package temperature discrepancy on a brand new Asus Rog Strix laptop ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 16, 2023
Hi, I have an issue on an Asus Rog Strix laptop (2023 version) with an Intel i9-13980HX CPU.

CPU package is always between 10 and 15 degrees C higher than any of the cores.

Attached image shows the values for my CPU on the left and the reference 13980hx in the same type Asus Rog Strix product on the right.

Can someone help me figure out what the issue is?

Also, the laptop is under extended warranty.

I had a discussion with an asus moderator at this link, but I was not able to get anything useful out of this person:

Thanks

Comp-1.jpg

Your full load testing that you previously posted shows a wide variation in the maximum P core temperatures. That is usually a sign of poor thermal paste application, a heatsink that is not perfectly flat or perhaps the heatsink was not screwed down evenly.
NONE of which are an "Intel" problem, and ALL of which ARE an "ASUS" problem. So, like I've been saying for a while now, this is something to take up with the manufacturer of the laptop if it is under warranty. It's not an acceptable behavior for an in-warranty product and is something, regardless of the actual reason it's happening, should NOT be happening and should be fixed or replaced under warranty. Intel is 300% NOT responsible for how ASUS assembles it's product. They don't install the thermal paste or the heatsink, so unless it's an INTERNAL TIM problem, it's totally on ASUS not Intel. And even if it IS an internal TIM problem, it should STILL be covered by the ASUS warranty and then ASUS can deal with Intel from that point.

Aug 29, 2024
Sup with ASUS and Cooling issues? idk, but Ive got a Asus ProArt Studiobook with the combo i9 13980HX and RTX4070 Laptop, this this gets hot if you don't detune it with ThrottleStop. If you dig into your sales literature you will find the Actual TDP rating of your laptop, you have to take that, subtract what you want your GPU to put out, then set the result in PL1, and set your boost about 25% high than that for 90 Seconds. (Fans on max in this Screenshot if you are wondering why its not hovering at 45/50C)

However, i am debating on returning this to best buy, as ill show you what cinebench runs on this stock vs now. I wasn't getting higher than 15000 before the detune (best buy said they might just take it back under warranty), but ill retest and get some screenshots this time.

The Problem is Asus advertises this laptop as only having 150W of cooling power, and, well, yeah, yup, that's about how it goes. But what they don't tell you is that's split between the CPU and GPU.

XB7obj4.jpeg