[SOLVED] CPU Damaged?

May 9, 2020
I was sitting on my couch and heard and crashing noise from inside my pc while it was running. Opened up the side to see that my CPU cooler had snapped the bracket off of the mount and had caused it to fall. My computer shortly turned off after that. I tried placing the cpu cooler back but the computer starts up then turns off shortly after. Is the cpu dead?

Solution
What are your system specs? especially the motherboard, cpu and cpu cooler type/mfr/model.
From the description, I'm going to guess it is an AM4 build and the plastic bracket that broke is one of the plastic brackets pre-installed on most motherboards that most people end up removing because most HSF including AMD's own Spires screw into backplate studs instead of using the plastic brackets.

InvalidError

Titan
What are your system specs? especially the motherboard, cpu and cpu cooler type/mfr/model.
From the description, I'm going to guess it is an AM4 build and the plastic bracket that broke is one of the plastic brackets pre-installed on most motherboards that most people end up removing because most HSF including AMD's own Spires screw into backplate studs instead of using the plastic brackets.

Solution
It's at least equally likely to be AM2/3 with different plastic clip brackets from AM4. And besides, I'm not really confident anything said solidly eliminates it being Intel since someone could easily mistake one of the flimsy plastic clips used on their stock coolers as something that's 'screwed in'.