[SOLVED] CPU debug LED is on after BIOS update ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2021
b450 gaming plus max
5800x / 3700x

I recently updated my bios but ever since then the cpu debug led turns on.
In my naive thinking I thought the cpu might not be supported by my current bios version and could not be downgraded again (like AMD has claimed).
After installing my zen3 5800x and going through with a bios update the ez debug led never turned off.
After that i gave updating the bios another chance but this time after the update via flashback button went through, the flashback led never turned off after reboot and the ez debug led is also still on ?

Solution
b450 gaming plus max
5800x / 3700x

I recently updated my bios but ever since after the cpu debug led turned on.
In my naive thinking I thought the cpu might not be supported by my current bios version and could not be downgraded again (like AMD has claimed).
After installing my zen3 5800x and going through with a bios update the ez debug led never turned off.
After that i gave updating the bios another chance but this time after the update via flashback button went through, the flashback led never turned off after reboot and the ez debug led is also still on.
Did you ever reset CMOS after updating BIOS?

I think you're trying to update using BIOS flashback button and doing it wrong. The process is pretty involved and any step...
"After installing my zen3 5800x and going through with a bios update the ez debug led never turned off. "

If the MB needed a BIOS update to run the 5800X....you would have done it BEFORE you installed the 5800X.

You would have done the BIOS update with the 3700X and then powered down and installed the 5800X.

b450 gaming plus max
5800x / 3700x

I recently updated my bios but ever since after the cpu debug led turned on.
After that i gave updating the bios another chance but this time after the update via flashback button went through, the flashback led never turned off after reboot and the ez debug led is also still on.

I think you're trying to update using BIOS flashback button and doing it wrong. The process is pretty involved and any step got wrong will end up with failure.

If you can still run with the 3700X installed update using the BIOS utility (Q-Flash or EZ-Flash or something like that) as it's much easier. Just make sure you've extracted the BIOS binary file from the archive and put that on the USB stick drive.

Once updated, shut down the computer and install the 5800X and reset CMOS (pull battery, short pins for 30 sec's to a minute). It should run with either the 3700X or 5800X CPU but be sure to reset CMOS before trying to restart.

Solution
Aug 10, 2021
"After installing my zen3 5800x and going through with a bios update the ez debug led never turned off. "

If the MB needed a BIOS update to run the 5800X....you would have done it BEFORE you installed the 5800X.

You would have done the BIOS update with the 3700X and then powered down and installed the 5800X.
i might have worded it really badly. Ofcourse i went through with the first bios update when my 3700x installed. After said update my ez debug led turned on.
From that point on I thought my bios version was too new for my 3700x which is why I bought a 5800x, since its zen3.
But the ez debug led was still on even after swapping from my 3700x to my new 5800x.
Desperately I tried updating my bios again, thinking that it went wrong the first time.
This time though it seemingly went through with the update, until it rebooted on its own.
Problem being that now the ez debug led is still on and after the reboot even the bios flashback led stays on.

i might have worded it really badly. Ofcourse i went through with the first bios update when my 3700x installed. After said update my ez debug led turned on.
From that point on I thought my bios version was too new for my 3700x which is why I bought a 5800x, since its zen3.
But the ez debug led was still on even after swapping from my 3700x to my new 5800x.
Desperately I tried updating my bios again, thinking that it went wrong the first time.
This time though it seemingly went through with the update, until it rebooted on its own.
Problem being that now the ez debug led is still on and after the reboot even the bios flashback led stays on.
ahh...

have you ever reset CMOS? try that if not.

If you can't get to BIOS screens then you're stuck with the flashback. Even if BIOS is corrupted in the chip it should update though, but you have to follow the process perfectly. I'd watch a few you-tubes on it. Here's one I've thought pretty good.

Some of the sticking points are extracting the binary file, naming it correctly using all upper case letters, putting it in the root of the USB, USB freshly formatted FAT32. It's also finicky about the USB stick so try various ones if it doesn't cooperate. Do it with no CPU in the system...if that doesn't work do it with a CPU in the system.

In worst case scenario you can contact MSI tech support to have them do it for you if still under warranty (should be??).

Aug 10, 2021

I think you're trying to update using BIOS flashback button and doing it wrong. The process is pretty involved and any step got wrong will end up with failure.

If you can still run with the 3700X installed update using the BIOS utility (Q-Flash or EZ-Flash or something like that) as it's much easier. Just make sure you've extracted the BIOS binary file from the archive and put that on the USB stick drive.

Once updated, shut down the computer and install the 5800X and reset CMOS (pull battery, short pins for 30 sec's to a minute). It should run with either the 3700X or 5800X CPU but be sure to reset CMOS before trying to restart.
Problem is I can't run with the 3700x nor with the 5800x. I have another pc on my side to install any bios version. I tried going back to one that supports zen2, cpu debug led still on. I tried installing one that support zen3, same story. But now whenever i want to update the bios via flashback button the flashback button led stays red even after it automatically reboots.

Edit: I reser cmos multiple times before too to no succsess.

Problem is I can't run with the 3700x nor with the 5800x. I have another pc on my side to install any bios version. I tried going back to one that supports zen2, cpu debug led still on. I tried installing one that support zen3, same story. But now whenever i want to update the bios via flashback button the flashback button led stays red even after it automatically reboots.

Edit: I reser cmos multiple times before too to no succsess.
Which BIOS version are you trying to update to? MSI may have locked out reverting the BIOS so you might have to use only the latest version, the one for the 5800X, to flashback.

Aug 10, 2021
Which BIOS version are you trying to update to? MSI may have locked out reverting the BIOS so you might have to use only the latest version, the one for the 5800X, to flashback.
I updated to the newest version they have up on their website "7B86vHC ". I totally thought that reverting is not possible aswell, but that does not explain why my 5800x does not get recognized

Aug 10, 2021
ahh...

have you ever reset CMOS? try that if not.

If you can't get to BIOS screens then you're stuck with the flashback. Even if BIOS is corrupted in the chip it should update though, but you have to follow the process perfectly. I'd watch a few you-tubes on it. Here's one I've thought pretty good.

Some of the sticking points are extracting the binary file, naming it correctly using all upper case letters, putting it in the root of the USB, USB freshly formatted FAT32. It's also finicky about the USB stick so try various ones if it doesn't cooperate. Do it with no CPU in the system...if that doesn't work do it with a CPU in the system.

In worst case scenario you can contact MSI tech support to have them do it for you if still under warranty (should be??).
Sadly making use of the warranty won't be an option for me, since this motherboard is a gift from my long term friend. Originally I was following the same exact video you linked and did everything as they told me to do. But as we know now that didn't work out for me.

I will try doing that. To get some relief, is this an issue that would be fixed through a new motherboard or did my new and my old cpu somehow die on me
I can't imagine how either CPU could have been harmed by this. But it's not unheard of that people find they've corrupted their BIOS chips in some manner while updating and can't fix it while a tech with proper equipment frequently can.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
I can't imagine how either CPU could have been harmed by this. But it's not unheard of that people find they've corrupted their BIOS chips in some manner while updating and can't fix it while a tech with proper equipment frequently can.
Could it also be possible that the USB drive i used is somehow messing up the whole procedure?

Aug 10, 2021
Definitely so as the flashback utility seems to be picky about usb drives so try as many as you can. I've also known people who've seen success after going through the update process three or four times.
So my new motherboard came in. Trying the 3700x ez debug led was stuck on vga (since i did not have my gpu plugged in, but it passed the ram and cpu debug lights so it was working).
Now going through the flashback update again it seemed like it was working. After alot of blinking it never rebooted like it should, so after 30 mins i turned of the system and again it was stuck on cpu debug again after installing my 5800x.
I am again at square one where both my cpus show the ez debug led again.
Is it safe to assume that the usb drive does not work with my motherboards and are my motherboards now broken?

So my new motherboard came in. Trying the 3700x ez debug led was stuck on vga (since i did not have my gpu plugged in, but it passed the ram and cpu debug lights so it was working).
Now going through the flashback update again it seemed like it was working. After alot of blinking it never rebooted like it should, so after 30 mins i turned of the system and again it was stuck on cpu debug again after installing my 5800x.
I am again at square one where both my cpus show the ez debug led again.
Is it safe to assume that the usb drive does not work with my motherboards and are my motherboards now broken?
I'm perplexed why you'd go back through the flashback process if it was working before, once you figured out your error with the GPU and it passed through RAM and CPU debug LED's. What is the new motherboard?

Try more/different USB drives and repeat the process assiduously several times. If you can't get the boards to take a flash and enable functioning on the CPU then either they're defective or you're missing an important subtle step. If the latter, taking this sort of problem to a pro more often than not results in satisfaction even though they charge for it.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
I'm perplexed why you'd go back through the flashback process if it was working before, once you figured out your error with the GPU and it passed through RAM and CPU debug LED's. What is the new motherboard?

Try more/different USB drives and repeat the process assiduously several times. If you can't get the boards to take a flash and enable functioning on the CPU then either they're defective or you're missing an important subtle step. If the latter, taking this sort of problem to a pro more often than not results in satisfaction even though they charge for it.
Im going through the flash process again because now that I have a 5800x i want to be able to use that cpu, since its a lot better than my 3700x. But the 450 A PRO Max by MSI has no out of the box support for zen 3 sadly

Im going through the flash process again because now that I have a 5800x i want to be able to use that cpu, since its a lot better than my 3700x. But the 450 A PRO Max by MSI has no out of the box support for zen 3 sadly
Well....it may be water under the bridge now. But an MSI MAX board will support the 3700x out of the box. I'd have booted into BIOS and used the EZ-Flash utility to do the update as it's a lot more robust...and simply easier.

If you CAN still boot up with the 3700x then do so and do that.

Aug 10, 2021
Well....it may be water under the bridge now. But an MSI MAX board will support the 3700x out of the box. I'd have booted into BIOS and used the EZ-Flash utility to do the update as it's a lot more robust...and simply easier.

If you CAN still boot up with the 3700x then do so and do that.
Im so confused by this situation. Perhaps using the ez flash utility would have been alot easier.
But i decided try to update the bios again and funnily enough it went through without any problems, though it took a while. Now the CPU debug led is off but the DRAM one lights up.
Ive tried switching the ram sticks and putting them into the correct slots and so on but nothing has been working:/

Im so confused by this situation. Perhaps using the ez flash utility would have been alot easier.
But i decided try to update the bios again and funnily enough it went through without any problems, though it took a while. Now the CPU debug led is off but the DRAM one lights up.
Put both sticks in, 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU. RESET CMOS.... remove battery, short pins for 30 sec's to a minute, then reassemble.

When you bootup first time after that be patient. It may restart once or twice while it 'trains' memory.

Aug 10, 2021
Put both sticks in, 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU. RESET CMOS.... remove battery, short pins for 30 sec's to a minute, then reassemble.

When you bootup first time after that be patient. It may restart once or twice while it 'trains' memory.
I did as you said leading into the same problem. Im utterly confused on what is actually going on lately.
First off I want to clarify that i have never ever ran into these issues before in my atleast 5 years of building a few pcs.
Issue is still present but i would like to say thanks for trying to help. Really appreciate it

I did as you said leading into the same problem. Im utterly confused on what is actually going on lately.
First off I want to clarify that i have never ever ran into these issues before in my atleast 5 years of building a few pcs.
Issue is still present but i would like to say thanks for trying to help. Really appreciate it
so..can you get into BIOS at all?

have you tried with one stick in each slot?

If it doesn't work with the 5800x will it work with the 3700x? be sure to reset cmos when you change CPU's.

Also, have no drives attached for now. With no drives it should dump you right into BIOS which is what you want right now.

Aug 10, 2021

If it doesn't work with the 5800x will it work with the 3700x? be sure to reset cmos when you change CPU's.

Also, have no drives attached for now. With no drives it should dump you right into BIOS which is what you want right now.
no succsess getting into bios. A friend will come over to help out with one of his usb drives

Aug 10, 2021

it was the flash drive. got it all working no

Status
Not open for further replies.