Question CPU Debug LED on after updating BIOS

danielarey08

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Hi all,

I was in the process of upgrading my Ryzen 3 1300x to a Ryzen 5 5600x, after updating the BIOS with the R3 still in, my computer now won't start up or show anything on the display. I have tried installing the R5 and that didn't work so I'm guessing its not a CPU issue despite the CPU EZ debug LED coming on, the LED comes on for a few seconds then goes off for a few seconds. I have tried resetting the CMOS which didn't do anything and unfortunately, I have an MSI B350m Bazooka motherboard that doesn't have the bios flash button.

Anyone have any ideas or is my motherboard dead?
Thanks

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
It does not have to be dead.

- did anything happen while you flashed BIOS? Anything that interrupted the process?
- how did you update? what was the previous version? to which version did you update to?
- when you say the computer won't start up, do you mean it does not boot into OS? Is there any activity?
- have you tried a different GPU? It's unlikely that yours is dead, but you never know
- have you tried using different ram, or different ram configuration?
- when you install the R5, is the result exactly the same? No difference?
- does the CPU debug LED come back on? Or does it turn on, turn off, and stay off?

You should post detailed specs of your PC.

danielarey08

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
It does not have to be dead.

- did anything happen while you flashed BIOS? Anything that interrupted the process?
- how did you update? what was the previous version? to which version did you update to?
- when you say the computer won't start up, do you mean it does not boot into OS? Is there any activity?
- have you tried a different GPU? It's unlikely that yours is dead, but you never know
- have you tried using different ram, or different ram configuration?
- when you install the R5, is the result exactly the same? No difference?
- does the CPU debug LED come back on? Or does it turn on, turn off, and stay off?

You should post detailed specs of your PC.
Apologies its my first time posting,

GPU: 4gb Sapphire Radeon RX 570
CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x
Motherboard: MSI b350m bazooka
RAM: 2 x 4gb ddr4 2666Mhz and 2 x 8gb ddr4 2666Mhz

I'll answer your questions in order
1. It seemed to go smoothly, once the progress bar hit 100% my pc restarted and initially it booted as normal, but then black-screened for about 10 mins before I turned it off. Now it dosent display anything at all when I boot it
2. I updated it via USB using the m-flash in the BIOS (i think that's what its called). It was running a very old bios from when I built the pc in 2017 and I updated it to v. 7A38v1N4 (which is the lastest bios on MSI's website right now).
3. Everything starts up but nothing is displayed and none of my peripherals come on, but fans spin and the lights come on inside the case. I have tried connecting my monitor to the motherboard instead of GPU but still nothing
4. Haven't got another GPU to test, I'm assuming its not that
5. No
6. Results are the same
7. It comes on for a few seconds then off for a few seconds, then repeats. Also the case fans start accelerating when the LED is off then slow back down when its on.

Thanks for responding :)

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
No need to apologize. You did nothing wrong. It's just that posting as much detail as possible helps people fine-tune their crystal ball ;) Sometimes it's a lot of guess work until a clue is found.

1. hmmm. This is not very good. It's normal to restart after hitting 100% and it is also not unusual to restart again after a short time. But not 10 minutes. More like 10-20 seconds. After that the PC loads the new BIOS.

Maybe something went wrong here, but if it did reach 100% it should be alright?

3. You wont get nothing there unless i'm mistaken about the 1300x not having integrated graphics.

6 & 7 hint at a faulty motherboard. It could be the CPU because of the debug light, but this light can come on when the motherboard is at fault, not just the CPU.

You have nothing to lose trying ram in different slots.

One more question: Does the monitor turn on? And then complain about having no signal before going to stand by? Or does it stay off the entire time?