Jan 31, 2021
Is there a source for accurate dimension specs on intel CPU dies? CAD files? I see measurements on height but I want to know the full dimensions since the die on my CPU is very concave (8 core 10th gen mobile xeon and i9-10980HK). I want to use this to get my machine shop to cut me a nice cooler block.

I have a direct heat pipe to die contact on a lenovo P15 and liquid metal didn't even keep temps under 100C in cinebench with the fans on max. There is only one heat pipe over the CPU with a mounting block going to a CPU fan and fin stack while the other side goes directly into the GPU cold plate.... so under combined load the GPU is 60-68max with MX4 and the CPU is getting to 100.

First liquid metal attempt had 3 hot cores and I lapped the very rough heat pipe with some 1000 now having 1 core that will hit 100C while the rest are at 85-90. Eventually it will max out even if it's perfect but at idle the core to core delta is like 3degrees.

Using thread racer in Pro balance, core 3 the one that always gets hot is the one that gets the highest score in that test oddly enough.

Also when the PC is face up, the CPU is higher up than the colder parts of the cooling system, making heat pipe dry out a possibility. But should we really be cooling our CPU's with our VRAM? lmao.

The direct die mounting block does make it easy to seal around it with RTV to make sure no LM leaks out onto the motherboard on this machine, or else I would have wimped out and went with MX4. Conformal coated PCB as well. High expectations crushed.

Card is RTX5000 Quadro
CPU is Xeon W-10885M (locked 8 core i9 with ECC support basicially, maybe better binned?)
Also voltage offset is locked and no one has a patch for the P15 bios.
Running discrete graphics only and Throttlestop with power limits @100w, I can back it down but then frequency suffers, this laptop is freaking huge and should be able to overclock the i9-10980HK

Think I could fit that big boi fan on the CPU and triple heat pipe it with a vapor chamber or heat spreader?

Solution
You don't want die size. You want larger, even incorporating the the holes holding down the plate to the cpu. The bigger block you can physically stick in that spot, the better. Provides a much larger surface area overall and the ability to sink more than 1 heatpipe. Bigger + thicker = better absorption ability. By aiming at something as small as the actual die, you concentrate the absorption ability, but then rely totally on that single heatpipe to transfer the heat away from the tiny block.

Personally I'd be thinking about large, flat and finned, with the fins adding to the total surface area, and in the path of the airflow, like the way Northbridge/Southbridge heatsinks work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't want die size. You want larger, even incorporating the the holes holding down the plate to the cpu. The bigger block you can physically stick in that spot, the better. Provides a much larger surface area overall and the ability to sink more than 1 heatpipe. Bigger + thicker = better absorption ability. By aiming at something as small as the actual die, you concentrate the absorption ability, but then rely totally on that single heatpipe to transfer the heat away from the tiny block.

Personally I'd be thinking about large, flat and finned, with the fins adding to the total surface area, and in the path of the airflow, like the way Northbridge/Southbridge heatsinks work.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution