Question CPU fan always running at high speed

Jul 25, 2019
A little while ago my CPU fan on my PC kept switching from normal to high speed and back again. Then it just kept running at high speed. As soon as I turn it on the fan runs loudly. I checked the temps, fine (around 28-31 Celsius at idle) and the fan runs at high before bios. I tested it with a CPU fan from another pc, but it too ran at high speed. For now I linked the CPU fan to my case fan so that it can run normally. Is my bios or motherboard corrupted and causing this?

PC specs:
Intel Core i7-860 2.8ghz quad core
8gb Ram
Windows 10 64 bit
Nvidia Gt 620
Manufactured in 2010 (It's old but still runs smoothly)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many things are possible. Corrupted bios is one, could be the fan setting, or could be the motherboard or even the cpu.

While it might seem to work with the case fans, figure most cases may only get to around 35°-40°C, so case fans respond to those temps. When playing a game, a cpu is much higher, so the fan may not spin to appropriate speeds to maintain decent temps under such loads.

Fans always ramp up at bios as it's a 50%+ load and there's no controlling software loaded other than bios defaults.

Dec 1, 2019
A little while ago my CPU fan on my PC kept switching from normal to high speed and back again. Then it just kept running at high speed. As soon as I turn it on the fan runs loudly. I checked the temps, fine (around 28-31 Celsius at idle) and the fan runs at high before bios. I tested it with a CPU fan from another pc, but it too ran at high speed. For now I linked the CPU fan to my case fan so that it can run normally. Is my bios or motherboard corrupted and causing this?

PC specs:
Intel Core i7-860 2.8ghz quad core
8gb Ram
Windows 10 64 bit
Nvidia Gt 620
Manufactured in 2010 (It's old but still runs smoothly)
Just check Smart mode for fans in BIOS. Is it ON or OFF.