Cpu fan error! help?!

TomProx

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hey, I've recently built a computer and all seems well, but when i boot up its telling me that theres a "cpu fan error!" but when i go into the BIOS the cpu temps at idle is 40 degrees celcius, and the fan is running at around 1900RPM.

For reference,
My motherboard is the asus m5a97 am3+
My Processor is phenom 955 BE
Cpu fan cooler is the Coolermaster hyper 212+

Cheers!

mavroxur

Distinguished
Windows has nothing to do with the BIOS error he is recieving. It sounds like the motherboard is not seeing fan speed for the CPU fan. This typically happens when you plug the CPU fan into a header that's intended for another fan. Most motherboards have fan headers for CPU, Case Fan (or two for case fans), and PSU fan. If you plugged it into something else, the hardware monitor will see 0 RPM on the CPU fan port. If it *is* seeing fan speed and reporting it properly, and you're sure the fan is working properly, you can usually disable fan speed monitoring in the BIOS if it's being problematic. This will cause the system to quit crying about CPU fan failure.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i never said to change anything in windows,,, ASUS has a bios update tool that works in windows to flash the bios -- i had similar issue before,, can physically double check fan and connection, but he said the fan is running.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
+1 on the double check which fan header its plugged into.

If that is ok then just disable monitoring in the bios and forget about it.

can also try updating the bios.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Does the fan immediately spin up when you start your PC? Possibly a faulty fan or motherboard header...the Hyper-212 stock fans are PWM, and it's possible that a fault may exist which prevents it from spinning at startup.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
+1 also to fan header plug.

99% of the time, if the motherboard does not reconize power being drawn from it's specific CPU fan header it will throw the error.

it is generally the closes power header from the CPU, and should be labels on the board as "CPU FAN"

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010

the OP's fan is spinning and working, so it not a faulty fan. could be a bad sensor in the header if he has the fan plugged into the right header

shelborn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
hi. i recently made a new comp. same problem as yours. CPU fan error! press F1, etc..

im suspecting that it was about the pin of the cpu fan. my fan had a 3 pin while my motherboard has 4 pins.
i also check and read the manual of the CPU fan, and it says that if ever i see a 4 pin socket i have just got to ignore the last pin and install the 3pin cpu fan. and it says that if an error occurs we can adjust the setting on the bios.

But, i've been searching on my bios setup for the setting to ignore it for a few days now but still zero results.
anyone know if there is an adapter for 3pins-4pins? or any solution for this matter??

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i too have this mobo and cpu cooler setup, however my cpu is the 980... the 212+ is set up with a second fan, in push pull config.

there are two pwm ports and a single 3pin all right next to each other, odds are you plugged into the ChaFan2 port and not the CPUFan port. these ports also just have a 1amp 12watt limit, so i'm gonna get me a splitter and linking these two together.

update your mobo bios with the ASUS AI tool, and you are set.

you can adjust the sensors and data through the ASUS AI tool, there is an option within there to turn of monitoring, as i have done this, the program communicates directly with the bios just like AMD Overdrive does.

Indy Boy

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I have the same motherboard but with a amd fx 8320 and the same cpu fan error. At the top were the fans go the cpu fan goes in the middle of the three

Indy Boy

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I have the same motherboard but with a amd fx 8320 and the same cpu fan error. At the top were the fans go the cpu fan goes in the middle of the three

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

nice double post...
additionally...
though it has been a LONG time since i have looked, i thought the CPU fan was the one on one of the sides of the middle 4 pin port. like i said, its been a while since i have looked.

computerror

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
i had the same problem - cpu fan error press F1.
but when i checked the fan number it showed nr 3 first - so i took the one on the other side - but in fan error again - and i looke in setup - but it was fan nr 2. So - unlogically i put the connector in the middle fan connector of the 3 - and - NO error - up and running. so this was fan connector no 1.....

Hope this will help you too.
/thomas

Loolou Loo

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

Hello,Tom i have the problem too and whith this "'m5a97 am3+'" motherbord,when i upgrated it whith latest Rom for make working my FX8350 cpu(i dont try whith other fan(cause Ai suite sensors fell good temp.

Darthvoid

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I have the same problem the issue is there is 4 CPU fan headers 1 next to the cpu to the left the other three above about an an inch. Side left and outer top two will trigger this error only middle header doesnt flash rhe error screen