[SOLVED] Cpu fan error

Mar 24, 2019
when i restart my pc i always get a cpu fan error, when i go the the bios it is on full speed, when i slow it down and restart it i still get the error, and when i go to bios second time and put it back on full speed it works fine how do i fix this ?
thank you

Solution
You got 2x options:
1) In some of the BIOS, you can set that the MoBo doesn't check CPU fan presence (aka CPU fan bypass). If your BIOS has that, you can disable it and the error won't show up anymore. But you need to be careful since without MoBo checking if the CPU fan works or not, you can easily overheat your CPU when your CPU fan actually dies.

2) Replace the CPU fan with the new one. Since it seems that your current CPU fan is faulty and can't provide it's operational state (RPM feedback) to MoBo at all times.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You got 2x options:
1) In some of the BIOS, you can set that the MoBo doesn't check CPU fan presence (aka CPU fan bypass). If your BIOS has that, you can disable it and the error won't show up anymore. But you need to be careful since without MoBo checking if the CPU fan works or not, you can easily overheat your CPU when your CPU fan actually dies.

2) Replace the CPU fan with the new one. Since it seems that your current CPU fan is faulty and can't provide it's operational state (RPM feedback) to MoBo at all times.

Reactions: gwern
Solution
Mar 24, 2019
You got 2x options:

ok thanks for the advice can you recommend a good but fairly cheap cpu fan for a ryzen 3 2200g?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sure, here's one of the good ones with 4x color options, provided that you have at least 150mm CPU cooler clearance,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/sVYLrH,yHNv6h,dGfhP6,P8KcCJ/

I have the predecessor of Arctic Freezer 33 eSports in use, known as Arctic Freezer I32 (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig), and it keeps my i5-6600K cooled without issues (26°C idle/ 55°C max load).

Mar 24, 2019
Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE has AM4 socket support so it fits just fine. Though, CPU cooler clearance is determinated by the PC case you have.
Hi i just took out the cooler but the nuts behind the motherboard where the screws are supposed to screw in has moved out of place
Do you have a suggestion?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Picture of the issue would help since without it, i can't tell if the backplate moved or what happened.

If the backplate did move, open the other side of your PC case so you can access MoBo tray and put the backplate into correct position.

Mar 24, 2019
Picture of the issue would help since without it, i can't tell if the backplate moved or what happened.

If the backplate did move, open the other side of your PC case so you can access MoBo tray and put the backplate into correct position.
i can confirm that the backplate moved, and unfortunately my pc back panel does not come off

Mar 24, 2019
What kind of case you have that you can't remove the back panel to access MoBo from behind?

In any event, only thing to fix it is to screw MoBo loose and lift it out of the PC case, so you can adjust the backplate.
Can i ask do i have to put new thermal past every time or can i just put it back as it was??

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Never use old thermal paste again since as time goes onward, thermal paste (most of them) do harden over time and loose a bit of their thermal conductivity. Due to that, every time you remove the CPU cooler, use isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% pure) to remove old thermal paste completely. You'll get new thermal paste with new CPU cooler or you can buy it separately.

Here's a good vid that shows both the removal and application of thermal paste,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST61g3hnIs

Mar 24, 2019
Never use old thermal paste again since as time goes onward, thermal paste (most of them) do harden over time and loose a bit of their thermal conductivity. Due to that, every time you remove the CPU cooler, use isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% pure) to remove old thermal paste completely. You'll get new thermal paste with new CPU cooler or you can buy it separately.

Here's a good vid that shows both the removal and application of thermal paste,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST61g3hnIs
ok thank you for the advice