[SOLVED] CPU fan header question - RGB/ARGB choice

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I have a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M mobo which has
  • a 4 Pin (presumably 12V) CPU fan header.
  • a 3 Pin 5V fan header

And I have a case with an ARGB fan controller and 4 ARGB fans.

I need to add a CPU Fan and have to choose between an RGB or ARGB version (DeepCool Gammaxx range).

If I get the RGB version, presumably I can plug this into the CPU Fan header.
But, if I get the ARGB version, I'm guessing I need to plug this into the ARGB fan controller on the case hub.

Is this right? And is it bad to have an ARGB CPU fan in general as it can't go directly into the CPU fan header? Or can it?

Solution
Fans don't plug their RGB cables into regular fan headers whether the addressable or non-addressable variety. The only thing that should be going onto a fan header is the three-pin or four-pin DC/PWM power connectors from the fans.

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Fans don't plug their RGB cables into regular fan headers whether the addressable or non-addressable variety. The only thing that should be going onto a fan header is the three-pin or four-pin DC/PWM power connectors from the fans.
That makes so much sense! Thanks a lot.

So the first thing I need to do is make sure the CPU Fan has the right 4 Pin power connection for mobo CPU fan header. And, the ARGB option would be better, as my fan hub is 5V ARGB so it can just plug in there along with the case fans. Does that sound right now?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That makes so much sense! Thanks a lot.

So the first thing I need to do is make sure the CPU Fan has the right 4 Pin power connection for mobo CPU fan header. And, the ARGB option would be better, as my fan hub is 5V ARGB so it can just plug in there along with the case fans. Does that sound right now?

Yes, that sounds accurate unless I misunderstood you. PWM fans are preferable because they're the easiest to manage via software. You'll sometimes see proprietary fans with just one cable that goes into a proprietary hub. But generally, fans have two cables coming off of them: the one that goes to the fan and the one that goes into the RGB source.

If your fan hub is already using ARGB fans and has an empty spot, it's the easiest solution. It's usually a good idea to match fans as close to each other is possible. I've put together myriad builds and it's still the most headache-inducing portion.

Reactions: davidbenpark

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Yes, that sounds accurate unless I misunderstood you. PWM fans are preferable because they're the easiest to manage via software. You'll sometimes see proprietary fans with just one cable that goes into a proprietary hub. But generally, fans have two cables coming off of them: the one that goes to the fan and the one that goes into the RGB source.

If your fan hub is already using ARGB fans and has an empty spot, it's the easiest solution. It's usually a good idea to match fans as close to each other is possible. I've put together myriad builds and it's still the most headache-inducing portion.
Ok great, that clears it up a lot.

The fan hub is an A-RGB PWM hub for up to 6 fans. It supports 3 Pin or 4 Pin power, and 3-Pin 5V A-RGB. It says it's compatible with RGB Fusion and comes with VDG connection, so should be a good fit for Gigabyte mobo.

The CPU Fan is a PWM fan. It has a 12V 4 Pin connector which I'll put in CPU fan header, and a 5V A-RGB 3-Pin connector which I'll put into the hub.

Then it should all play nice......hopefully :LOL: