[SOLVED] Cpu fan making loud motor sound after cleaning.

Feb 26, 2022
Hello, recently I cleaned my cpu fan and installed 3 new Arctic p12 PWM PST fans , after doing so my cpu fan started to make a loud motor noise, that sounds like a lawn mower. My CPU fan is an AMD Wraith Stealth Socket AM4. I use it on my ryzen 1600. I cleaned the dust off, applied new thermal paste, and after reinstalling the cooler it now make a really loud motor noise. It makes this sound no matter how fast it runs, on idle the fan runs at at around 1100-1200 rpm my cpu is at around 35°C. Under load the motor noise gets even louder and temp is around 58-60°C. Also I dont know if this is important, but my old case fans were 3pins my news ones are PWM 4pins. Please help, my hears are bleeding thank you!!

Solution
Apart from cleaning the dust off did you use anything to clean it?

Any chance you put pressure on the fan while taking it off or putting it on? Only thing that could make additional noise would be the fan bearing it damaged or lost all lubrication.
Okay thank you so much! You helped me diagnose the problem. First ignore my earlier reply, I don't know why I was worried about reapplying thermal paste. I didn't need to take my fan off of my cpu. That was stupid of me.
The solution:
I took off my fan cover and I noticed that the screws connecting the fan to the heat sinks were not fully tightened. I re-tightened the screws and now the noise is a lot less noticeable. It is still present, but I am able to tune it out. Thank you...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard? Might want to also see what your BIOS version for said motherboard is at the time of writing. It'd help us two fold if you could parse a video with audio of the issue you're seeing and a couple of images of how the fans are tethered in your build.

Reactions: Walii22
Feb 26, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard? Might want to also see what your BIOS version for said motherboard is at the time of writing. It'd help us two fold if you could parse a video with audio of the issue you're seeing and a couple of images of how the fans are tethered in your build.

Thank you for the welcome! I have been using this forum for years. I finally had a question that I couldn't find an answer for so made my account yesterday.

My motherboard is: ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends inc. 0902, 9/8/2017
BaseBoard Version: Rev X.0x

Here is the video of my pc. My exhaust fan is a 3pin fan, top fan 4pin, bottom two fans are daisy chained together and are also 4pins. The wiring is a little unmanaged but dont seem to be interfering with anything. Also sorry for the bad vid, my pc is an a awkward spot.

Here is what my pc was like during the recording. (HWMonitor)

Feb 26, 2022

Any chance you put pressure on the fan while taking it off or putting it on? Only thing that could make additional noise would be the fan bearing it damaged or lost all lubrication.
I just used a tooth brush to remove the dust. But now that you mention it, I did have to apply quite a bit of pressure when removing the fan cover. I might have pressed down too hard on the fan when removing the cover. I would take my fan out again, but im out of thermal paste. I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and I kinda dont want to buy more right now haha,

Feb 26, 2022

Okay thank you so much! You helped me diagnose the problem. First ignore my earlier reply, I don't know why I was worried about reapplying thermal paste. I didn't need to take my fan off of my cpu. That was stupid of me.
The solution:
I took off my fan cover and I noticed that the screws connecting the fan to the heat sinks were not fully tightened. I re-tightened the screws and now the noise is a lot less noticeable. It is still present, but I am able to tune it out. Thank you!!

Reactions: sizzling
Solution