[SOLVED] CPU fan on heatsink or case?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi all,

2 weeks ago got my Silverstone Raven RVZ03 case arrived. All stuff moved from old case and setup, working perfect.

Trying to knock a bit more of the noise level down so i was wondering if there is any difference or benefit at all placing the cpu cooler fan i have on the way (noctua F12) either on the case panel or my Argon 06 itself, there will literally only be about 1-3cm difference in positioning.

So whats better, having more cooler air in the case by having the cpu fan draw from outside the case, or directly on the heatsink for more focused air?

PS, both my 120mm Shadow Wings installed are currently intake already, both blowing directly onto/into my 1080 intake, this case has an unfiltered mesh on the top/bottom and rear and the GPU exhaust itself so I don't THINK thats a problem...

What do you reckon?

Solution
The CPU cooling fan should be mounted directly on the finned heatsink of the CPU cooling assembly. That way ALL of its air flow if forced though the heatsink. In most situations with adequate case ventilation fans the actual temperature of the air inside the case (which is the supply to the CPU cooling fan) is only a few degrees higher than outside. That only requires a very modest increase in fan speed to compensate, and that's automatically done by the fan control system.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The CPU cooling fan should be mounted directly on the finned heatsink of the CPU cooling assembly. That way ALL of its air flow if forced though the heatsink. In most situations with adequate case ventilation fans the actual temperature of the air inside the case (which is the supply to the CPU cooling fan) is only a few degrees higher than outside. That only requires a very modest increase in fan speed to compensate, and that's automatically done by the fan control system.

Solution