Question CPU Fan spins in intervals after reaching certain high temperature but spins normally at normal temperature, what to do?

Jul 23, 2022
My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 | HDD: 2 TB
MOBO: ASUS EX-A320M Gaming | RAM: Corsair 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 LPX 2400MHz
---
As my title says and to add more into that: PC is working totally fine, it's booting up and everything but after reaching 75c or above it's fan suddenly stops and spins in intervals, I've upgraded from 2200G to 5600G and I've never encountered this with my previous processor, mind you I've updated the BIOS before installing this CPU so I know A300 series does not supports these new CPUs outta the box nor they support overclocking (which is not my concern as I don't want that), so ASUS had released BIOS update in May 22 for these processors to work with older mobos. (BIOS Version/ 6042)
A) So far I've tried following things:
  1. Use different CPU_Header pin connector.
  2. Reinstalled fan.
  3. I've resetted BIOS.
  4. I've updated BIOS (before and after installing the processor as well just to make sure)
  5. I tried using my 2200G's stock cooler with 5600G, when I did this, it didn't even post at all, only fans were spinning and nothing else.
B) Things I can do:
-I haven't removed and reinstall the CMOS battery yet, which I'll try in the morning I guess
-I can return my CPU and get another one and try if it works out if it doesn't I'm suspecting that my mobo is the cause since it's not outta the box supported, I'm limited on fund as of now so I can't even swap mobo and see if it's mobo,
Any help would really be appreciated guys

Video to demonstrate what happens: https://youtube.com/shorts/quPwX3d-q6Y?feature=share

THere are generally BIOS settings for adjusting the fan's RPM higher as temps increase, or, alternatively, simply selecting a speed that is not loud that accommodates most working/playing loads....

You can search your BIOS until you've found where these adjustments are made...

Perhaps there is a minor BIOS glitch (or maybe even the default setting improperly attempts on/off duty cycles?) that is improperly stopping the fan as the CPU cools below 75C vice simply slowing the fan to a 60-70% level, etc...

Until you examine all these settings, and experiment w/ changing them, you are perhaps just guessing the fan may be at fault. It might be, but, I'd be checking /experimenting with altering BIOS fan curve settings first...

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Jul 23, 2022
THere are generally BIOS settings for adjusting the fan's RPM higher as temps increase, or, alternatively, simply selecting a speed that is not loud that accommodates most working/playing loads....

You can search your BIOS until you've found where these adjustments are made...

Perhaps there is a minor BIOS glitch (or maybe even the default setting improperly attempts on/off duty cycles?) that is improperly stopping the fan as the CPU cools below 75C vice simply slowing the fan to a 60-70% level, etc...

Until you examine all these settings, and experiment w/ changing them, you are perhaps just guessing the fan may be at fault. It might be, but, I'd be checking /experimenting with altering BIOS fan curve settings first...

I had played with my BIOS fans settings before as well but I took your advice and changed them a bit but the result is almost the same (with some improvement), improvement being that now it runs at 1200RPM 75-80c but then once it reaches 85c or above, it does the exact same thing as shown in original video above. I've attached pictures of my BIOS fan settings to show ya, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but imo fans should never stop especially at higher temp when the CPU needs it the most.