Cpu for music playback and production

lancerguy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
i was wondering which cpu (corei5 vs. core2 quad) is better at handling programs for music playback (itunes and zune) and music production (i don' t have any programs in mind as well, if possible please recommend some).

ciloteille

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I must say i5. Simply for a couple reasons i feel that make that choice valuable.
price? (lower end models)
DDR3 capable
Newer usable/upgradable socket
Hyperthread? More awesome

Never saw the point in the C2Qs....

If you wanted to upgrade.... Your better off getting I5, atleast you can in 5 years. 775 will be obsolete. Atleast that will be like socket 478 currently...

random.... ontop of random, kinda fact... im going to bed...

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If you want hyper threading and a quad core, you'll actually have to go i7 860 or above. The i5 750 doesn't do hyper threading and the i5 6xx and lower are dual cores. A quad core or even dual HT core can be good for casual audio production. If you're going to a level where you'll have a lot going on, the i5 750 is the minimum I'd go and I'd try for the i7 860 if you have the budget for it.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
The naming schemes are somewhat related to manufacturing generations I believe.

They lynnfields are 45nm parts. Clarksdale are 32nm parts. Generally, the lynnfields will perform better because they are quad core cpus. Clarksdales are dual cores and have an integrated GPU on the CPU chip. So each has its purpose. With both lines, the lower models don't support hyper threading while the middle and upper chips do. This is not to be confused with the iX number since the i5 750 is the top of the i5 line, but being the bottom of the lynnfield line, doesn't support HT. But in generally, is a better CPU than the i5 6xx as they are just dual cores with HT. Clear as mud?

This is the list of all the codenames and links to the specific lines if you're curious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_codenames