[SOLVED] CPU goes up to 95 Celsius when gaming

Mar 2, 2020
Ok this is starting to seriously piss me off. I have REPLACED my CPU TWO times. I got a new cooler, I got new thermal paste, I have reapplied thermal paste countless times, and I got 3 brands of thermal paste! So the last thing I just did was getting a new cooler. Actually, I was running at fairly low temperatures and I was so happy (30 - 35 c) when I booted. Before that it would be 90 Celsius on boot. So I test it by running Modern Warfare and it seemed to gradually get higher mid game. I saw it going from 70, to 75, to 80, to 85, to 90 to 95, etc.
Specs:

i7-9700k
Corsair 32gb 3000 MHZ ram
NZXT Kraken M22 Cooler
RTX 2080

No my CPU is not overclocked. honestly at this point I feel like its the damn software that tells me its 90 celsius!

Solution
In simple terms, the heat is transfered to the water by the pump heatsink that makes contact with the cpu ihs, the water then transfer the heat to the radiator (thanks to the pump), so the bigger the radiator the more surface (metal) you have to trasnfer the heat from the water, and thus the easiest it gets to disipate it faster using the fans and cooling the water to re-enter the circuit.

So yes, a bigger AIO (240mm or 280mm) as I wrote in my post, will help you cool your CPU better cause there will be more metal on the radiator for the heat to transfer and disipate.

Since your current AIO only 120mm, the radiator is not big enough to disipate and cool the water enough prior to re-enter the circuit., Still, as Rogue Leader said...

stretch9x

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Got enough case fans? I have 3 140's, one on top blowing in and 2 on the sides; one blowing in at my 2 970's in sli and the other blows in at the underside of the cpu socket area My AIO pump is running at a constant speed and it's fan is pulling air through the rad out to the rear. Never see 70c in marathon gaming. Amd FX8350 running @ 4.7 ghz.

Is the new cooler the same you had before? It sounds like 2 different things going on here.

90c on boot sounds like a physical problem with the cooler. Possibly not making proper contact or not being secure, if it was an AIO it could be a faulty pump or an airlock.

Then new problem of gradually creeping up to 90-95c under load just sounds insufficient cooling. You can try higher pump/fan speeds if not done already. However 120mm AIO are not that good, they are worse performers that similar priced air coolers. It sounds like the fluid is just heating up and the puny radiator cannot dissipate the heat sufficiently.

Reactions: RodroX
Heres your problem (as theoneandonlyfoohyking and sizzling mention) -> NZXT Kraken M22 Cooler.

That Kraken aio is only a 120mm radiator. Try to max out the pum and the fan rmps and see if it helps. But then again, a 120mm radiator to try to cool the really hot 9700K is a bad idea.

Either you get a very decent cooler like Noctuas NH-D15 (as long as you have good airflow inside your case), or you get a 240mm or 280mm radiator AIO water cooler.

(No wonder why they didn't wrote the recommended max TDP that AIO can handle on thier page)

Cheers

Mar 2, 2020
As you are using an AIO cooler predominantly it’s only the fan on the radiator that is affecting cpu temperature. Not 100% correct but it’s the one that will make the most difference. As for pump speed you can do in BIOS or does your cooler have its own software to control pump & fans?

Yea I'm not sure about that. I'll find out! Thanks!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You've got 2 problems, your main one is the M22, its a poor performer, and the poor performance is exacerbated by using a 9700k on it which is a hot chip.

Secondly unless you have horrid airflow it still shouldn't hit 90, the M22 isn't that bad. I'd suggest theres an issue with your cooler's mounting for it to do that.

Return the cooler and get something else (Preferably a 240mm cooler). Make sure your case fans are setup properly. Not knowing your case the basic suggestion of 2 fans intaking air from the front and 2 exhausting from the back/top is the best start point.

Mar 2, 2020
You've got 2 problems, your main one is the M22, its a poor performer, and the poor performance is exacerbated by using a 9700k on it which is a hot chip.

Secondly unless you have horrid airflow it still shouldn't hit 90, the M22 isn't that bad. I'd suggest theres an issue with your cooler's mounting for it to do that.

Return the cooler and get something else (Preferably a 240mm cooler). Make sure your case fans are setup properly. Not knowing your case the basic suggestion of 2 fans intaking air from the front and 2 exhausting from the back/top is the best start point.

As I said, I already replaced the m22 TWICE. Damn dude this is pissing me off.

Mar 2, 2020
You replaced the M22 with another M22. I'm telling you the M22 is probably part of the problem.

Get something else, Corsair H100i for example would be my suggestion.

I know that the X64 uses two fans. I have all my case fans slots filled up. So the actual water cooler itself makes a difference by making it bigger, or is it just that I get more fans? Because if that's the case I have filled every case slot

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I know that the X64 uses two fans. I have all my case fans slots filled up. So the actual water cooler itself makes a difference by making it bigger, or is it just that I get more fans? Because if that's the case I have filled every case slot

The cooler itself makes a difference using a better design, more efficient pump, in addition to more radiator surface area.

Also just because you put fans everywhere doesn't mean they are helping. What case do you have, where are the fans mounted, and what direction are they blowing?

In simple terms, the heat is transfered to the water by the pump heatsink that makes contact with the cpu ihs, the water then transfer the heat to the radiator (thanks to the pump), so the bigger the radiator the more surface (metal) you have to trasnfer the heat from the water, and thus the easiest it gets to disipate it faster using the fans and cooling the water to re-enter the circuit.

So yes, a bigger AIO (240mm or 280mm) as I wrote in my post, will help you cool your CPU better cause there will be more metal on the radiator for the heat to transfer and disipate.

Since your current AIO only 120mm, the radiator is not big enough to disipate and cool the water enough prior to re-enter the circuit., Still, as Rogue Leader said, if everything is wroking fine, it should not get as high as 95°C. Did you check the settings of the pump and the radiator fan to see if they are maxed?

Solution