CPU heatsink + MOBO compatability

chelsika

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I just built my new computer, and am having cooling issues. I was told to buy a new heat sink (I am using a hand me down from a repair shop ATM) and was wondering if someone can help me find one that will fit the CPU & my MOBO, as this is all stemming from my lack of ability to pick one out that actually fits when I first ordered everything.

MOBO: ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor (we just unlocked it's fourth core)

I'm looking for something cheap, so anything under $30 is preferable. The first time I bought one, I apparently had chosen a low profile heatsink and it was an 1/8" off. I don't want to make the same mistake again and put off using the computer, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
i would say if you go in the bios and set the defaults it will lock it back up--not sure you need a new heatsink yet as going back to 3 cores may solve the issue--lots of stuff on the net from people who unlocked them having issues--some work ok unlocked some dont--probably why they locked them to begin with poor yield

may be an idea also to take of the heatsink fan and check the heatsinks not full of dust and fluff--happens all the time i clean mine every 3 months

chelsika

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I also have an add on question, to make sure I'm on track with fixing my problem.

Would a hot CPU cause graphic problems, like bus artifacts (I think that's what they're called) and parts of my screen being "pulled" and blurred when I play a video or look at a picture? I took my video card out when this started happening and just used the video card on the MOBO, and there was no difference. Should I expect this to be taken care of with a new heat sink?

for under $30 i would normally recommend the cooler master hyper plus 212--but looking at that case it may be too big to fit in--silverstones website may be able to tell you if it would fit in

wouldnt usually suspect the cpu for graphics problems but it may be possible as you have tried the onboard instead

try it with the fourth core locked off as sometimes unlocking extra cores can cause issues

chelsika

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Sorry to keep badgering you with questions, but I had tried to find a tutorial on lock the fourth core back up. Would you be able to recommend any reading that would help me with that?

My Google-fu has failed me.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will check their website to see if it will fit.

chelsika

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I had someone at a computer repair shop walk me through building the computer, and when they were setting up the OS, they said that it was unlocked and it looked like they were in the BIOS.

I just found the CPU cooler limitation, and it's 70mm. Unfortunately, I can't find any coolers on NewEgg with that size and the AM3 socket. o_0

This is turning into a headache, but I guess you can't expect everything to work right off the bat on your first build... lol

i would say if you go in the bios and set the defaults it will lock it back up--not sure you need a new heatsink yet as going back to 3 cores may solve the issue--lots of stuff on the net from people who unlocked them having issues--some work ok unlocked some dont--probably why they locked them to begin with poor yield

may be an idea also to take of the heatsink fan and check the heatsinks not full of dust and fluff--happens all the time i clean mine every 3 months

Solution

chelsika

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I will definitely try to lock it back up within the next few hours, and hopefully that will solve my problem. I honestly didn't want it unlocked, but they did it and I didn't think it would hurt.

Thanks for your time.