Question cpu idle temps

Sep 15, 2020
i have an i7 3770 which idles at 40-45 C but at full load it only gets to arround 55-60C this only started happening 2-3 months ago i thought its because of summer but now it isnt even hot and the temps are not lower .....this problem started when i used to have an i5 3570k no oc and it used to idle at 29-30 and one day just suddenly everything has changed my cpu started overheating and idle temps were higher so i bought an aftermarket cpu its a coolermaster 410p with 2 fans so my full load temps were lower but my idle temps remained the same and the same for my i7 which i got 3 months ago my config is i7 3770 rx 570 12gb ram h61 mb bequiet 430W bronz and a case with 3 fans 2 for intake

CompuTronix

Intel Master
aymen11531,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

... i7 3770 which idles at 40-45 C but at full load ... 55-60C ... used to idle at 29-30 ... suddenly ... idle temps were higher ... coolermaster 410p with 2 fans ... idle temps remained the same ... case with 3 fans 2 for intake

The problem you've described is very common. Aside from a properly mounted and functioning CPU cooler, factors include ambient temperature, and how different users define the term "idle".

Just so you know, the International Standard for "normal" ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F. Obviously, for every degree ambient is above normal, so will be your idle and load Core temperatures.

The definition of "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization. If "idle" is really idle, then with your Cooler Master 410P and normal ambient temperature, the Cores should idle at about 2 Watts on a 3rd generation processor, with Core temperatures below 30 °C in a well ventilated case, just as you mentioned. Here's how idle power consumption (Watts) should look:

ninSnX4.jpg

Low idle power consumption produces low Core temperatures.

If "SpeedStep", also called EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology), is disabled in BIOS, or Windows Power Options is set to “High Performance”, then depending on Vcore and Core speed, idle Power can exceed 30 Watts, which will result in high idle temperatures, especially when combined with high Ambient temperature.

SpeedStep and all "C" States must be enabled in BIOS. Also, if Windows Power Options for "Balanced" or "Power saver" is not set correctly, then SpeedStep will not work ... OR ... if Windows Power Options is set to "High performance", then SpeedStep will not work because Minimum processor state can‘t be set.

To check this, go to Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan setting > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Minimum processor state. The default setting is 5%. If it's not, then correct it and click Apply.

kwD8fen.jpg

If BIOS and Windows are indeed set up properly, then the problem points to excessive software activity. "Idle" means no programs or screensaver running, and off line. No Dropbox or Folding or SETI or "tray-trash" running in the background, and just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager. Here's how idle should look:

eTSQPNc.jpg

If you don't have low CPU Utilization at idle, then your processor can't reach low Core temperatures.

Check the "Process", "Startup" and "Services" tabs in Windows Task Manager to find unnecessary and excessive software activity. Often, users encounter the problem you described due to software which was installed or a Windows Update that coincides with when the problem was first noticed.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

If your idle temperatures are about 10-15c. over ambient, then your cooler is likely mounted well and is functioning properly.
55-60c. under load seems very good.
The processor monitors it's temperature and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Sep 15, 2020
aymen11531,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

The problem you've described is very common. Aside from a properly mounted and functioning CPU cooler, factors include ambient temperature, and how different users define the term "idle".

Just so you know, the International Standard for "normal" ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F. Obviously, for every degree ambient is above normal, so will be your idle and load Core temperatures.

The definition of "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization. If "idle" is really idle, then with your Cooler Master 410P and normal ambient temperature, the Cores should idle at about 2 Watts on a 3rd generation processor, with Core temperatures below 30 °C in a well ventilated case, just as you mentioned. Here's how idle power consumption (Watts) should look:

ninSnX4.jpg

Low idle power consumption produces low Core temperatures.

If "SpeedStep", also called EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology), is disabled in BIOS, or Windows Power Options is set to “High Performance”, then depending on Vcore and Core speed, idle Power can exceed 30 Watts, which will result in high idle temperatures, especially when combined with high Ambient temperature.

SpeedStep and all "C" States must be enabled in BIOS. Also, if Windows Power Options for "Balanced" or "Power saver" is not set correctly, then SpeedStep will not work ... OR ... if Windows Power Options is set to "High performance", then SpeedStep will not work because Minimum processor state can‘t be set.

To check this, go to Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan setting > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Minimum processor state. The default setting is 5%. If it's not, then correct it and click Apply.

kwD8fen.jpg

If BIOS and Windows are indeed set up properly, then the problem points to excessive software activity. "Idle" means no programs or screensaver running, and off line. No Dropbox or Folding or SETI or "tray-trash" running in the background, and just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager. Here's how idle should look:

eTSQPNc.jpg

If you don't have low CPU Utilization at idle, then your processor can't reach low Core temperatures.

Check the "Process", "Startup" and "Services" tabs in Windows Task Manager to find unnecessary and excessive software activity. Often, users encounter the problem you described due to software which was installed or a Windows Update that coincides with when the problem was first noticed.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:
Hello and thank you for your answer. I have a widget that shows my cpu and ram usage all the time. My cpu is 0-2% on idle and also I have my power plan on high performance since I use my pc for gaming. But the problem that its been on high performance as far as I remember since the day I bought it and still my temps were fine on idle.

This problem just occurred suddenly with no reason. I suspected my older cpu cooler so I upgraded to the coolermaster one and it really helped with my load temps since my i5 started overheating at the same time as i got this problem. Usually it never got higher than 73 and after that started to overheat to 90C. And I also didn't find in my bios anything that says SpeedStep to check if it's enabled.

PS: My room temp is 20C and my core is idle at about 4-4.8watts.

Last edited: