[SOLVED] CPU is a lot hotter than usual

Aug 27, 2019
So recently when I've been playing games I've noticed the fan on the computer spin a lot more than it used to. It started doing it when I wasnt just playing games. I open up task manager and see the CPU spikes up to 70-100% then falls and stuff. It never used to go that high. I downloaded a heat monitoring software and its always around 50-60 degrees celcius (peak of 66)

It probably started about a month ago after i installed a new GPU (gtx 1050ti 4gb to 1060 6gb)

this might sound stupid but I also got a 240hz monitor and even though putting it on 60hz instead of 240hz helps the cpu, its still very hot

CPU: i5 8400

RAM: 16gb ddr4

GPU: 1060 6gb

Power Supply 450W

Hard drive(s) 1tb HDD Toshiba, 240GB SSD

Operating System: Windows 10

Thank you

Solution
'fails and stuff'...?

100% usage in a game is quite common, especially with 6c/6t CPUs...

But, 'fails and stuff' tells anyone trying to assist you..well, ....nothing useful..

Assuming all WIndows updates have been downloaded and applied, and nothing is being downloaded/uploaded in the background (cloud storage, etc), and no browsers are open, no AV scans in progress, most people's systems sit at 2-3% usage...

YOu might want to make sure that part seems normal, if you have picked up malware, that will often rob performance.

Check your CPU temps (via HWMonitor) during a 15 min CPU-Z/bench/cpu stress run, make sure no signs of throttling, and that clock speeds are hitting what is normal for your CPU and mainboard..(you might see one...
'fails and stuff'...?

100% usage in a game is quite common, especially with 6c/6t CPUs...

But, 'fails and stuff' tells anyone trying to assist you..well, ....nothing useful..

Assuming all WIndows updates have been downloaded and applied, and nothing is being downloaded/uploaded in the background (cloud storage, etc), and no browsers are open, no AV scans in progress, most people's systems sit at 2-3% usage...

YOu might want to make sure that part seems normal, if you have picked up malware, that will often rob performance.

Check your CPU temps (via HWMonitor) during a 15 min CPU-Z/bench/cpu stress run, make sure no signs of throttling, and that clock speeds are hitting what is normal for your CPU and mainboard..(you might see one core hit 4.0 Ghz when opening/closing apps, but, an all core load will probably be near 3.6-3.7 GHz or so across all six cores...or should, barring any throttling (Factory provided i5-8400 coolers are known for being quite marginal and on the verge of throttling even under gaming loads, I'm sorry to say)

Solution