Question CPU is constantly at 95c - 100c all the time, even on idle. What do I do?

May 13, 2023
Hey guys, I've been using my new computer for about a year now and it was running wonderfully in this first year, below is a list of the specs -->
--
CPU - i7-11700k
GPU - 3080ti
RAM - (2x16)32gb, 3600mhz
PSU - 1050W
CPU COOLING - MSI 360mm water cooling radiator
MOBO - Z590m gaming x
STORAGE - 4tb nvme ssd
--
And all of a sudden, I noticed an extreme decrease in general performance from just using the note pad app to actually playing games. I thought it was my ram, so I did tests and replaced it, that didn't fix it. I then realised my CPU was running at 100c without any apps open what so ever, and was throttling HARD. So I re-applied thermal paste, ensured the cooler was mounted and working properly, blew cold fans into the case yet to no avail.
-
I've performed a windows wipe, CMOS wipe, multiple system diagnostic checks and nothing has come up. All the threads online just say how it could be dust, or that it needs new thermal paste, In which I have already cleaned out/re-applied.
-
Could this be a faulty CPU? Or possibly CPU cooler? I'm keeping my computer off for the mean time, just in case.

Solution
Almost all rads have reservoirs at the tips of the rad. That's where any air in the loop is supposed to collect, so it stays out of the pump. Stand a rad up (front mount) any air stays on top. That's how the MAG/MPG are used, the pumps are in the middle of the fins, so are well below any potential air pockets.

If you lay a rad down, air is free to travel around the rad pipes, most staying at the top of the reservoirs, but some will travel around between them, based on pressure buildup. That puts the MAG/MPG pumps right in the middle of air movements, not good for the pump and can force air back through the system to the cpu block and it can collect there instead, killing temps.

To test, slowly tilt the pc forwards until the pc is...
May 13, 2023
My first guess would be the AIO is either failing or installed in such a way as to allow air to remain in the block.

I would attempt to test the issue with an air cooler.
I've just looked at my AIO, and the people who built it seems to have put the 360mm radiator at the top acting as an exhaust.. wouldn't this be pulling hot air through the radiator?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CPU COOLING - MSI 360mm water cooling radiator
MAG and MPG Coreliquid are prone to clogging early. MAG Version 2 was their solution. MEG had no such issue.
Regardless, MAG and MPG Coreliquid should not have their radiators installed in the roof; that's an easy way to wear down and kill the pump, even if the loop hasn't started clogging. MEG does not have the pump integrated into the radiator, so they can be installed in the roof if desired.

May 13, 2023
MAG and MPG Coreliquid are prone to clogging early. MAG Version 2 was their solution. MEG had no such issue.
Regardless, MAG and MPG Coreliquid should not have their radiators installed in the roof; that's an easy way to wear down and kill the pump, even if the loop hasn't started clogging. MEG does not have the pump integrated into the radiator, so they can be installed in the roof if desired.
I'm sorry, I'm still a little new to this but what's MAG, MPG and MEG?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ahhh yeah, I just asked for what parts I wanted and then they put the PC together. Guess I wasn't educated enough back then.
Well, MAG and MPG Coreliquid are pump in radiator units. They have the telltale black cube built into the radiator. MEG uses the cpu block that most are used to seeing.
The location of the pump affects viable mounting options. MAG and MPG Coreliquid should be front only - assuming the loop hasn't already clogged up on you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Almost all rads have reservoirs at the tips of the rad. That's where any air in the loop is supposed to collect, so it stays out of the pump. Stand a rad up (front mount) any air stays on top. That's how the MAG/MPG are used, the pumps are in the middle of the fins, so are well below any potential air pockets.

If you lay a rad down, air is free to travel around the rad pipes, most staying at the top of the reservoirs, but some will travel around between them, based on pressure buildup. That puts the MAG/MPG pumps right in the middle of air movements, not good for the pump and can force air back through the system to the cpu block and it can collect there instead, killing temps.

To test, slowly tilt the pc forwards until the pc is about 90°, rest it on a book and let it sit there for a good while with pump at 100%. That'll put the rad at 'front mount' position, submerging the pump. Then check your temps. If they return to normal, it's a rad location issue. If they don't change, it's more likely a clogging issue and the aio needs replacing/return.

Solution
May 13, 2023

To test, slowly tilt the pc forwards until the pc is about 90°, rest it on a book and let it sit there for a good while with pump at 100%. That'll put the rad at 'front mount' position, submerging the pump. Then check your temps. If they return to normal, it's a rad location issue. If they don't change, it's more likely a clogging issue and the aio needs replacing/return.
I tilted it, and the temps instead of sitting from 95 - 100c, just started grinding at 100c and my pc crashed. New AIO time?

May 13, 2023
Nothing wrong with an air cooler. No pumps to fail and you'll save a few nickels too.
If it's within warranty period, that's an option. A different type of aio, with standard pump location is an option. Air cooling is an option. The choice is yours, but I'd say your current cooling is toast.
Ahh yeah alright, thanks anyways guy. I'll go look for a new air cooler / water cooler