Cpu is on a non stop temp climb.

iangrimaldi3

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
I have a problem and can't seem to determine what actually has happened. PLEASE HELP! I have been using my current pc build for a year without any major problems. One thing that came with my motherboard is a software called Asus AI Suite III. It is a little auto OC software/fan control. Pretty much a all in one utility. I've used it for awhile just to peep on my temps and what not and I tried it's auto overclock before without problems. It was not the best but it is neat. Anyways I recently had a problem within windows causing for a fresh install. Reinstalled everything including AI Suite and decided to try it's auto OC again. Clicked the 5 way optimization prompt and off it went. It rebooted finished and then my fans on my water pump boosted like crazy. Cpu temps climbed to 89c, pc shut down. Rebooted and the cpu temps are non stop climbing. I have cleared cmos. Removed AI Suite. Reverted cpu stock setting through bios but the cpu is still non stop heating up. Hitting 100c at most. Do I need to buy a new cpu or is there something I'm missing. Can this happen from OC damage?

Solution
Water pump is dead, common problem. You can tell if the hoses never get warm, and fans can't remove heat that never makes it to the radiator.

You can't damage the CPU because it can throttle to as low as 200MHz to prevent overheating and if that's still not enough, it will shut off.
Water pump is dead, common problem. You can tell if the hoses never get warm, and fans can't remove heat that never makes it to the radiator.

You can't damage the CPU because it can throttle to as low as 200MHz to prevent overheating and if that's still not enough, it will shut off.

Solution

mwryder55

Distinguished
I had a similar problem lately with my Corsair water cooling setup. Even though the pump was supposedly running at over 2000 RPM my idle temperature was over 50 C and it climbed to almost 100 C under load. I replaced it with a Fractal Design C24 and everything went back to normal.

iangrimaldi3

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks guys, I was about to go to best buy tomorrow to buy a whole new processor. Guess I'll be looking for a better cooling system for my cpu. The pump I was using was a corsair h100i