[SOLVED] Cpu is overclocked but I didn't mess with settings...help

www.vukasin

Prominent
Jan 30, 2019
I have fx 8300 3.3 ghz base but on windows 10 it shows over that, like 3.9 and on idle the max frequency shown on resource monitor is always over 100%(110-120%) I went to bios and entered the default option but it still persists, when I change the power mode to power saver it goes max 50% but as soon as I put balanced it goes to over 100% again. This resulted in higher temps and shut down of my pc due to high temps(over 88 degrees). Need help. Also never have I messed with cpu settings since I bought it 3 years ago.

Solution
Ok here we go. I have a stock cooler. When playing Dark souls III during boss fight its spins to 6500 rpm and it is loud. The temp hits max 80 degrees and tries going lower but not lower than 70 degrees during boss fight. I havent aplied thermal paste since the guy who takes care of my pc put it in. I have a classic pc box with no coolers attached. But what worries me is that I have started noticing this while playing DOOM 2016 and the pc shutting itself after 1 hour and 30 mins cause of high temps. Also at the same time the weather at my place started going hot(32 degrees during the day and 24 during the night) so it is probably connected cause before that I played for 4 hours non stop with no problems. Why would they add the turbo...

Furzumz

Reputable
That processor has automatic 'turbo boosting' so it can automatically overclock itself up to 4.2 ghz. I'm not sure if you can disable it, maybe you can but even so its automatic overclocking shouldn't be causing you to overheat on its own.

Have you ever blew your computer out with a can of compressed air? If you haven't done it recently that could help. If the thermal paste is old, replacing it may also help

Is your CPU fan still spinning? What coolder do you have? What is your case fan setup like?

www.vukasin

Prominent
Jan 30, 2019
That processor has automatic 'turbo boosting' so it can automatically overclock itself up to 4.2 ghz. I'm not sure if you can disable it, maybe you can but even so its automatic overclocking shouldn't be causing you to overheat on its own.

Have you ever blew your computer out with a can of compressed air? If you haven't done it recently that could help. If the thermal paste is old, replacing it may also help

Is your CPU fan still spinning? What coolder do you have? What is your case fan setup like?
Ok here we go. I have a stock cooler. When playing Dark souls III during boss fight its spins to 6500 rpm and it is loud. The temp hits max 80 degrees and tries going lower but not lower than 70 degrees during boss fight. I havent aplied thermal paste since the guy who takes care of my pc put it in. I have a classic pc box with no coolers attached. But what worries me is that I have started noticing this while playing DOOM 2016 and the pc shutting itself after 1 hour and 30 mins cause of high temps. Also at the same time the weather at my place started going hot(32 degrees during the day and 24 during the night) so it is probably connected cause before that I played for 4 hours non stop with no problems. Why would they add the turbo mode if I cant disable it??

Furzumz

Reputable
Ok here we go. I have a stock cooler. When playing Dark souls III during boss fight its spins to 6500 rpm and it is loud. The temp hits max 80 degrees and tries going lower but not lower than 70 degrees during boss fight. I havent aplied thermal paste since the guy who takes care of my pc put it in. I have a classic pc box with no coolers attached. But what worries me is that I have started noticing this while playing DOOM 2016 and the pc shutting itself after 1 hour and 30 mins cause of high temps. Also at the same time the weather at my place started going hot(32 degrees during the day and 24 during the night) so it is probably connected cause before that I played for 4 hours non stop with no problems. Why would they add the turbo mode if I cant disable it??

I thought I heard it can be disabled but I have no experience with that so I can't say for sure, maybe someone else here might know

But I'm heavily doubting turbo mode is the sole cause of your overheating.

When was the last time you cleaned your computer out with some compressed air? If the answer is never then that could very well be the problem or at least a huge contributing factor as your CPU heatsink could end up looking something like this:

before-after.jpg

If you have a place to mount them and room to do so some case fans would also be beneficial.

It's also relatively common for stock CPU thermal paste to dry out after a few years, some new thermal paste I'm sure would help out as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS