CPU is overheating. Very worried. Please help.

GoldenMantis

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I want to keep this short and sweet.

It's been a while since I checked my CPU temp and last night my computer crashed 3 times within 2 hours of gaming. I was play Modern Warfare 2. I cleaned dust off my GPU and some other parts today. To be safe, I downloaded CoreTemp to monitor my CPU temp. Right now I am idling with Chrome, Steam, Teamspeak, and CoreTemp open. It's at 60 degrees Celsius. I was just playing Rocket League, and it was at a steady 95 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow I am going to reapply new thermal paste and clean the CPU fan. My questions; can I continue playing? how to keep it from doing this in the future? any other possible problems that could have caused the crashes?

My hardware:
AMD Athlon X4 760K
MSI A78M-E35
Sapphire Radeon R7 260X
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
1TB Western Digital Black
430W Corsair CX430
Corsair SPEC-01
OS – Windows 8.1 64-bit
Wi-Fi Adapter – Asus USB-N53
Case Fan – Corsair AF120

95c is pretty high...
first of all...clean the entire cabinet properly...check for fans and heatsinks...
how old is ur psu??? u shd consider changing to a higher spec...
if temps dont come down, open the side panel of the case and place a table fan facing the cpu at full speed...

GoldenMantis

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
'

I built my PC last christmas (christmas of 2014) So its not very old. Will opening side panel cause a ton of dust and gunk to get into my pc ?

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Core temp has caused nothing but problems for me. It's caused BSOD and altered a lot of my readings, this is on Win 7 and Windows XP. I use AIDA64 and MSI afterburner to read my CPU temps now. I clean my PC out every 3-5 months or so with my air compressor and you'd be surprised how much dust can build up relatively quickly. I've been moving a lot of stuff around so there has been extra air borne dust moving around lately but after about 3 months my case looked worse than my Dell that was closed up for 7 years straight. Only difference was the dust wasn't as dense as it was in the dell.

A lot of dust gets trapped in metal heatsinks and for me it takes a good amount of air to work it all out. Can you open the window while its raining outside, yes and no. Depends whats going on outside and how long its open, etc. Have you ever monitored the temps before? Is this new or have they always been like this.

GoldenMantis

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Yes I can open window. I havent monitored before because I havent cared enough before to. That was a mistake now I see. But no, the crashes have only just started to happen yesterday.

azmothman

Reputable
May 16, 2014
95 degrees is too hot and I doubt it's due to dust. It sounds more like that it is due to too much thermal paste or not enough, or your heatsink is not mounted correctly.

Remember the thermal paste should be a pea or grain sized amount at the center of the processor before mounting the heatsink.

Anytime you remove the heatsink you need to clean the processor and heat sink with a lint free cloth such as a coffee filter and 90 percent based isorypl alcohol.

GoldenMantis

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Just got finished doing this. I used a pea size and spread it with one of those plastic things that's in most PC kits. I also found out that both my front and rear fan were sucking air in, so I changed the rear to blow air out. I'll update with any further problems. Question, was I supposed to spread the thermal paste? Or just leave it like a pea and squish it? Also, I applied the thermal paste to the bottom of my fan or heatsink or whatever that huge thing is called. Was I supposed to apply it to the CPU or was the fan correct? Thanks

azmothman

Reputable
May 16, 2014

azmothman

Reputable
May 16, 2014
Apply it directly to the center of the processor and then mount the heatsink do not spread the thermal paste as this will create air pockets.

Make sure you clean the thermal paste from your processor and heatsink as I previously mentioned.

well...did it resolve the issue???