Question Windows 11 PC freezes up suddenly ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
PC Specs:
MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
PSU: Corsair RM850 (2021), RM Series, 850 Watt 80 Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W) /
GPU: ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 TI
SSD1: Crucial P5 Plus CT1000P5PSSD8 1TB (PCIe 4.0, M.2)
SSD2: Fanxiang S500PRO 2TB NVMe SSD (PCIe 3.0 M.2)

I encounter freezing, it happens without any warning, on desktop, in browser, in a game, while my monitor is on sleep, it doesn't matter where, it just happens, with no error messages. I then can't move or open anything, everything is frozen. Even the LED colors on my PC-Case stop looping. I can't use it till I turn it off by pressing the power button (reset button is replaced with LED option-modes).

It sometimes happens after leaving my PC on sleep-mode for 2 or 3 days, then when I start using it, it freezes maybe few hours later. And sometimes it freezes just in the same day (after few hours).
I don't remember exactly when this happened, possibly few months ago, I can't remember when and what did change to cause this problem, because it wasn't there before (I built my PC 2 years ago). But the second 3.0 M.2 SSD drive was installed later, could it cause this issue?

I would appreciate any tip/help. What could cause this issue?

Solution
The only option left, is to remove the second M.2 hard disk that I installed 1 year after building my PC, it maybe the reason? Perhaps my MoBo has technical issues when installing the second M.2 HDD that affect the DDR slots?
If you suspect second SSD causing the issue, try removing it and see, if freezes still happen.
I have come across a lot of issues using Sleep mode in general. Often times it has to do with BIOS options related to power and power savings. Sometimes in your BIOS there will be settings related to sleep states. If your motherboard does not support or has problems with sleep states then Sleep mode for windows will not work properly...

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
If you suspect second SSD causing the issue, try removing it and see, if freezes still happen.
I will, as I see this the last try, if the issue happens after removing this M.2 stick, then I guess I have to change the whole motherboard.

I have come across a lot of issues using Sleep mode in general. Often times it has to do with BIOS options related to power and power savings. Sometimes in your BIOS there will be settings related to sleep states. If your motherboard does not support or has problems with sleep states then Sleep mode for windows will not work properly...
Do you mean I should look for such option in the BIOS and if there is such, I should disable it? Or what exactly do I have to try here?

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Thank you!
I followed the powercfg /a command and got this message
View: https://imgur.com/a/mTHZEHY

Which - as I understand - Sleep State 3 is available in my PC.

In the site you gave me, the S3 is:

-------------------------------------​

System Power State S3​

System power state S3 is a sleeping state with the following characteristics:

Power consumption

• Less consumption than in state S2. Processor is off and some chips on the motherboard also might be off.
Software resumption

• After the wake-up event, control starts from the processor's reset vector.
Hardware latency

• Almost indistinguishable from S2.
System hardware context

• Only system memory is retained. CPU context, cache contents, and chipset context are lost.
--------------------------------------------------
Now what exactly do you suggest? To disable S3 or something else?

Thank you!
I followed the powercfg /a command and got this message
View: https://imgur.com/a/mTHZEHY

Which - as I understand - Sleep State 3 is available in my PC.

In the site you gave me, the S3 is:

-------------------------------------​

System Power State S3​

System power state S3 is a sleeping state with the following characteristics:

Power consumption

• Less consumption than in state S2. Processor is off and some chips on the motherboard also might be off.
Software resumption

• After the wake-up event, control starts from the processor's reset vector.
Hardware latency

• Almost indistinguishable from S2.
System hardware context

• Only system memory is retained. CPU context, cache contents, and chipset context are lost.
--------------------------------------------------
Now what exactly do you suggest? To disable S3 or something else?
Disabling S3 would mean Sleep mode would become unavailable to your PC. My original point was the you may have some BIOS setting that messes with sleep states which is no bueno when your PC enters sleep mode. Have you tried clearing CMOS since you updated BIOS? You should not be freezing in BIOS ever...

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Disabling S3 would mean Sleep mode would become unavailable to your PC. My original point was the you may have some BIOS setting that messes with sleep states which is no bueno when your PC enters sleep mode. Have you tried clearing CMOS since you updated BIOS? You should not be freezing in BIOS ever...
No, I still didn't clear my CMOS. Should I do it?

EDIT: OK I did reset the BIOS to the default, restarted the PC then entered the BIOS to change the Ram frequency and voltage.

Last edited:

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Sadly, it got frozen again just now, even after I cleared the CMOS last night.
The option left is removing the second M.2 stick and see if it is the cause, or I am just imagining that.

Weird is that it gets frozen mostly and shortly after I leave the PC for a short time, I stand up go drink, come back BOOM frozen. Sometimes it happens while I am working with it, but most of the time when I leave it for a short time.

Could it be a virus that hit my BIOS and is hiding there? Because I have seen a YT video of a technician who was talking about a new virus that can even hit the BIOS, and when it happens, it can't be removed, just throw the whole MoBo away and change it.
I know it sounds impossible, but I have watched such warning.
View: https://youtu.be/2QFJLszvDwg?si=hrz6R1aO_qnHnRJU

or
View: https://youtu.be/smnYAy71-4A?si=_gX4H8G4Ku3cUEGH

May 2, 2024
The freezing is back, 2 days after leaving my PC ON/Sleep mode, and only while I was browsing some YT shorts, suddenly frozen.
It drives me crazy, I just want to know what exactly causes this to repair it :disappointed:
Am I the only person on earth who has this issue?
Im having this same problem!!! Either it freezes and then blue screens then restarts, OR my monitors go dark and a “no signal” message pops up and my computer goes into sleep mode before restarting. It’s one or the other.
I used to have a problem with overheating and I thought that was the culprit, so I invested in a new cooler and more case fans, but its still doing it.

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Im having this same problem!!! Either it freezes and then blue screens then restarts, OR my monitors go dark and a “no signal” message pops up and my computer goes into sleep mode before restarting. It’s one or the other.
I used to have a problem with overheating and I thought that was the culprit, so I invested in a new cooler and more case fans, but its still doing it.
Although your problem may sound similar to mine, but it is totally different.
The PC freezes with no single error message or Blue screen, the screen just freezes and no way to restart it using CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing responses, the screen doesn't go off or loose signal, it shows the last picture that the pc froze it on. I have to press and hold the power button to shut it down.
This happened on desktop, browser, game, Bios, and even when I wanted to turn it off once, it got frozen while the windows circle was moving to shut down, the screen froze on the circle and stopped moving, it was frozen no life, only the fans of the pc continue and the LEDs light cycle.

It is turning me crazy.

May 2, 2024
Although your problem may sound similar to mine, but it is totally different.
The PC freezes with no single error message or Blue screen, the screen just freezes and no way to restart it using CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing responses, the screen doesn't go off or loose signal, it shows the last picture that the pc froze it on. I have to press and hold the power button to shut it down.
This happened on desktop, browser, game, Bios, and even when I wanted to turn it off once, it got frozen while the windows circle was moving to shut down, the screen froze on the circle and stopped moving, it was frozen no life, only the fans of the pc continue and the LEDs light cycle.

It is turning me crazy.
Ah okay, I see. I must have misunderstood at some point. I wish I had some advice for your problem but I’m just as lost toward mine and was looking for some tips through forums. Best of luck

Reactions: apalace
Sadly it froze even with 3000mhz and in manual, with 1,35v.
I even tried and removed one ram bar, and worked with only 1 16gb bar, and froze.
I don't know what else I can check or do to examine the issue.
The only option left, is to remove the second M.2 hard disk that I installed 1 year after building my PC, it maybe the reason? Perhaps my MoBo has technical issues when installing the second M.2 HDD that affect the DDR slots?
What do you think? Or is there other option or test that I can perform?

reset the bios to default and save see if this changes it

this will remove any overclocks or weird settings.

when you installed the second nvme did you use a nvme stand off.?

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
reset the bios to default and save see if this changes it

this will remove any overclocks or weird settings.

when you installed the second nvme did you use a nvme stand off.?
I cleared CMOS last night, and got frozen today, so reseting the bios to its default didn't help. BTW I didn't do any overclocking, just everything on AUTO and let it decide the MHz of the RAMs (3200).

But I didn't understand what you mean with "nvme stand off" ?
I removed the second nvme right now, which I installed a year later after I built my PC. it is PCIe 3.0 , but the windows is installed on the first nvme one which is PCIe 4.0

I will see if after I removed this second nvme stick will stop this freeze.
Ah okay, I see. I must have misunderstood at some point. I wish I had some advice for your problem but I’m just as lost toward mine and was looking for some tips through forums. Best of luck

Thanks man, I also wish you the best of luck.

I cleared CMOS last night, and got frozen today, so reseting the bios to its default didn't help. BTW I didn't do any overclocking, just everything on AUTO and let it decide the MHz of the RAMs (3200).

But I didn't understand what you mean with "nvme stand off" ?
I removed the second nvme right now, which I installed a year later after I built my PC. it is PCIe 3.0 , but the windows is installed on the first nvme one which is PCIe 4.0

I will see if after I removed this second nvme stick will stop this freeze.

Thanks man, I also wish you the best of luck.
all motherboards have a nvme stand off that has to be installed first. before you can install the nvme this board seems to have them preinstalled which is fine but it does have extra steps for certain nvme

Fanxiang S500PRO 2TB considering my anti virus kicked in on there website wouldnt trust this brand seen alot of reports about failing drives etc.

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
all motherboards have a nvme stand off that has to be installed first. before you can install the nvme this board seems to have them preinstalled which is fine but it does have extra steps for certain nvme

Fanxiang S500PRO 2TB considering my anti virus kicked in on there website wouldnt trust this brand seen alot of reports about failing drives etc.
Interesting. Since I removed it till now, I didn't encounter any freeze, but it is still too early to come to this conclusion.
I will wait a little more, like 2 or 3 days, and see.
So you mean that the brand is causing this trouble and not a failure of MoBo ? So when I install a second nvme from a good brand, this might not cause this issue?

Interesting. Since I removed it till now, I didn't encounter any freeze, but it is still too early to come to this conclusion.
I will wait a little more, like 2 or 3 days, and see.
So you mean that the brand is causing this trouble and not a failure of MoBo ? So when I install a second nvme from a good brand, this might not cause this issue?

I believe the nvme has become faulty fanxiang is known to use bargain basement components

also in the box there's small rubber pads with motherboard if there's only chips on one side you need to use these to prop up the nvme.

Nvme come in 2 flavours double sided with chips on both sides and single sided.

Pretty sure it's a faulty nvme.

I recommend

Crucial
Pny
Lexar
Kingston

( check manuals for nvme install )

Last edited:

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
I believe the nvme has become faulty fanxiang is known to use bargain basement components

also in the box there's small rubber pads with motherboard if there's only chips on one side you need to use these to prop up the nvme.

Nvme come in 2 flavours double sided with chips on both sides and single sided.

Pretty sure it's a faulty nvme.

I recommend

Crucial
Pny
Lexar
Kingston

( check manuals for nvme install )

Yes man, I have big feeling that my whole problem was caused by this nvme by fanxiang, I have even mentioned it in my first post, but I wasn't sure, and I was skeptic about it, how an ssd can cause such a problem, which most likely RAMs or PSU issue??
But I will wait till tomorrow and see, if no freeze happens then finally the issue is this little stick.

I know how to install nvme, I installed the first one, which is Crucial P5 Plus PCIe 4.0, and the windows is on it. It is easy just stick it inside the place, the small screw in the hole, the MoBo heat sink over it, done. The fanxiang was working normally I guess in the first 6 months, no issue at all. As I remember, the freezing started to happen like 6 months ago, and it was getting worst throughout the time.

Reactions: helper800
Yes man, I have big feeling that my whole problem was caused by this nvme by fanxiang, I have even mentioned it in my first post, but I wasn't sure, and I was skeptic about it, how an ssd can cause such a problem, which most likely RAMs or PSU issue??
But I will wait till tomorrow and see, if no freeze happens then finally the issue is this little stick.

I know how to install nvme, I installed the first one, which is Crucial P5 Plus PCIe 4.0, and the windows is on it. It is easy just stick it inside the place, the small screw in the hole, the MoBo heat sink over it, done. The fanxiang was working normally I guess in the first 6 months, no issue at all. As I remember, the freezing started to happen like 6 months ago, and it was getting worst throughout the time.

6 months is roughly what these nvme have been known to last some less. The pins on a nvme can cause the board to kind of short out if pins on a nvme are wired incorrectly on PCB that can also happen again sounds like you got a lemon

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
6 months is roughly what these nvme have been known to last some less. The pins on a nvme can cause the board to kind of short out if pins on a nvme are wired incorrectly on PCB that can also happen again sounds like you got a lemon
Yes, the problem was this Fanxiang NVMe SSD (PCIe 3.0 M.2). After removing it, the issue disappeared.
I bought NVMe enclosure to USB-C, to back up the files and save them in another SSD.
And to be sure that it was the fanxiang causing this issue and not the place on the MoBo itself, I inserted a SanDisk NVMe PCIe 3.0 with 1 TB which I had in an older PC, and no issue.

Therefore, I thank everyone, who added some information to the thread, and tried to help me find out the cause of this issue.

Yes, the problem was this Fanxiang NVMe SSD (PCIe 3.0 M.2). After removing it, the issue disappeared.
I bought NVMe enclosure to USB-C, to back up the files and save them in another SSD.
And to be sure that it was the fanxiang causing this issue and not the place on the MoBo itself, I inserted a SanDisk NVMe PCIe 3.0 with 1 TB which I had in an older PC, and no issue.

Therefore, I thank everyone, who added some information to the thread, and tried to help me find out the cause of this issue.

some of said files may be corrupted or have files missing if its games so if there not working you may have to redownload them.

glad this problem is fixed