[SOLVED] CPU is running hot ?

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Hi, I just recently put together a new build and for some reason my fans are running at full speed and my CPU is running hot while idle.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor
be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Z790 GAMING PRO WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

YzNZ5Ki.png

Last edited:

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
I just checked to make sure my heatsink was making contact with the CPU and the paste was spread out and it is.
BTYY1jK.jpeg

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
I had a graphite thermal pad on before I changed it out with the paste because I thought the pad was the problem.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I just checked to make sure my heatsink was making contact with the CPU and the paste was spread out and it is.
BTYY1jK.jpeg
Is it me or is that way way too much paste?

Extra (more than needed) paste kind of defeats the purpose. Too much of it acts more to insulate the CPU from the cooler rather than act as a conductor of heat.

Wait for input from others too but I think you need to clean that paste and reaply a proper amount. Something as big as a grain of rice which would spread out under the pressure between CPU and the cooler plate/base.

If that's the thing you'd need to do be careful not to spill paste into the CPU socket.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Is it me or is that way way too much paste?

Extra (more than needed) paste kind of defeats the purpose. Too much of it acts more to insulate the CPU from the cooler rather than act as a conductor of heat.

Wait for input from others too but I think you need to clean that paste and reaply a proper amount. Something as big as a grain of rice which would spread out under the pressure between CPU and the cooler plate/base.

If that's the thing you'd need to do be careful not to spill paste into the CPU socket.
I removed the paste and put the graphite thermal pad back on but when I had the pad on the temps where the same as with the paste.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
I'm currently rewiring my fans by removing most of them from the RGB controller and plugging them into the MB.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
jBF400J.jpeg

Ok, I required everything and unplugged every fan except the exhaust fan. I used every MB header (4) for the rest of the fans and used splitters for the 2 bottom fans and the CPU header which are the radiator fans.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
It's running quieter but the core temps says it's at 100c and MSI monitor says it's at 68 celsius. The air exiting the case is cool, so I'm starting to think that these temps are false.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Update: My computer just shut down due to the ridiculously high temps! It turns out it's an AIO problem. 🤦

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
I checked the bios and besides the CPU's clock speed being very high the AIO is detected by the MB so, it's not the problem. I turned "OC Explore Mode" from expert to normal. After doing that I booted into Windows and the temps were 38c but ramped up to 70c and then 100c and the fans started kicking up.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What is the AIO exact model? The one in the photo in post #3 seems to have two fans (240mm radiator?). Any cooler can be attached to the board as long as the block that goes on the CPU is designed for that socket. Whether said cooler have enough cooling capacit to keep the CPU temps in range is a different matter.

From what you said earlier I though you made sure the cooler was working properly. Does it make any unusual sound? When it's working can you feel a little vibration if you touch the cooler block on the CPU?

Also there might an air bubble preventing the cooler from working as it should. If/when that is the problem picking up the case with the cooler attached and torating it gently in various directions might get rid of the air bubble.

Reactions: Hiacios

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
What is the AIO exact model? The one in the photo in post #3 seems to have two fans (240mm radiator?). Any cooler can be attached to the board as long as the block that goes on the CPU is designed for that socket. Whether said cooler have enough cooling capacit to keep the CPU temps in range is a different matter.

From what you said earlier I though you made sure the cooler was working properly. Does it make any unusual sound? When it's working can you feel a little vibration if you touch the cooler block on the CPU?

Also there might an air bubble preventing the cooler from working as it should. If/when that is the problem picking up the case with the cooler attached and torating it gently in various directions might get rid of the air bubble.
After going through a process of elimination I found out the pure loop 2 FX 240mm is not powerful enough to cool an i7. The pure loop FX 360mm is the one I should've bought.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Good catch, sometimes imgur photos don't load for me and I didn't see that one before.

Indeed 5.6Ghz at 1.4 volts is way too much. Any cooler would struggle to keep the temps much lower than what you have been having.

Reactions: Hiacios

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Good catch, sometimes imgur photos don't load for me and I didn't see that one before.

Indeed 5.6Ghz at 1.4 volts is way too much. Any cooler would struggle to keep the temps much lower than what you have been having.
Why was the clock speed that high? Was it because of something set in the bios or just because of my liquid cooler?