Question CPU isn't getting power?

Dec 6, 2019
Hello, so I've ran into a problem with a new build.

I built together a new PC and had few first boot ups the PC worked totally fine and booted up like it should. So I shut it down and tried to boot it up again, then suddenly I heard a really quiet pop and the PC shut itself off. I smelt burn.. I quickly switched off the PSU and removed the power cable. So after that I waited for like 5 minutes, feeling scared that now it's the end.. So I took myself together and connected the pc with power cable and as soon as I switched on PSU from the button, the PC turned on itself. The motherboards RGB's turn on for a second after switching PSU on and then they just turn off and there's a stable red led on, which indicates to CPU. The PC is not restarting itself or shutting itself down, the fans just keep running, even the GPU is getting power. I can't turn the PC off from power button on case so I literally have to switch the PSU off to shut the PC down.
What's weird is that I cannot feel the CPU getting warm at all (CPU fan works aswell), just like it's not getting any power anymore at all..
So what I've tried so far:
  1. switching rams
  2. took one ram out
  3. cmos battery reset
  4. reinstalling cpu
  5. reconnecting connectors with motherboard

specifications:

mobo - Aorus B450 Elite
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x
PSU - 550w Chieftec CTG-550c
Case - Deepcool matrexx 70
GPU - rtx 2060

Will appreciate any help on this topic.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

This could be a variety of things, but there are 2 red flags for me that go hand in hand:
heard a really quiet pop and the PC shut itself off. I smelt burn.
PSU - 550w Chieftec CTG-550c

Chieftec are notoriously poor quality PSUs, and I've seen their units damage a number of systems. I'd certainly be swapping the PSU for a known good quality unit and retesting. Can you identify where the pop and smell comes from? Bets would put it on the PSU, and with it being that unit it's increases the likelihood IMO.

Following that, I would also cover each and every step in this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/ in the chance that it is simply an assembly issue.

Dec 6, 2019
The smell wasn't coming from PSU at all, it was coming from motherboard, somewhere near to 24pin connector. I have corsair RM750x psu in my PC, but the cable management will be pain to do again, will it really be worth to try my PSU on this computer?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well the PC I've put together has got Chieftec PSU
Yes but the one with the issue, had the Chieftec PSU in? In which case, I'd stand by the comment that they're notoriously bad.
I'd be checking the motherboard (especially 24pin) for any potential damage or burns for example.

Using the other PSU can help verify if it is indeed the PSU, or if any other components have gotten damaged. And I'd also cover the steps in the guide above.

Dec 6, 2019
Yes, the one with chieftec psu in it has the issue

Well to be honest I really couldn't see any burn marks on motherboard nor CPU, but maybe I really can't see them.

But so I will try RMx on the PC with issue, let's see if this solves the issue.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Okay, so I tried RMx PSU on the PC with problem, it did not fix anything at all. Its all the same
Well if it was the previous PSU that went, then there's every possiblity it damaged other components such as the MB or GPU.
Unfortunately it's likely on hardware diagnosis by swapping each component and retesting assuming you've also covered eveything in the guide above.

Probably worth breadboarding the system jsut to verify there isn't a short somewhere (slim chance, but worth a check).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Could it also be CPU?
It can be anything at this point.
Just if you heard a pop and smell, that would be a common symptom in poor quality PSUs failing, and poor quality ones are renowned for damaging other components, they can often damage the motherboard and GPU, and in worst cirumstances the CPU.

Can't really eradicate any hardware from the possibilities, but only certain components will "pop". Just based on experience, I would start with GPU and MB. Then move onto CPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I tested GPU on another pc, it works just fine. Tho I can't test cpu nor motherboard at all, because i dont have similiar setup anywhere
There's no effective way of testing MB and CPU without swapping and replacing unfortunately, being as you appeared to have covered everything else such as connections / shorts etc.

May be worth taking to a shop who can test, or borrow something from a friend who may be able to help, regardless I'd get rid of the Chieftec and get a good quality unit - and there is no loss there.