Question CPU issues after upgrading on a Dell D630

Jun 3, 2019
Hello guys !

I've got a problem with my old Dell D630, he had an T7250 , and i wanted to upgrade it to an T9300 ( 800Mhz,like the T7250),so i've installed it,and when i turn the PC on,it's go on the DELL screen,and then the fans go to 100% and the laptop shutdown

Can you help me?
(Tried 2x T9300 CPUS)..

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
They are two slightly different sockets so they really don't work according to what I saw online. It depends on the motherboard. Some people have luck and others do not. Looks like you might not be in the luck part. You can try finding out your motherboard but typically cost savings means it is not gonna support it. If you can find any information on your motherboard...or just get on Dell's website, there may be a BIOS update for it that would allow that CPU to be supported. You might have to reinstall the old CPU first though since you are having issues.

After doing quite a bit of research I found that people claimed that after updating the bios there were able to use the x9000 as the fastest CPU in that particular model laptop. Hope that helps.

Jun 3, 2019
They are two slightly different sockets so they really don't work according to what I saw online. It depends on the motherboard. Some people have luck and others do not. Looks like you might not be in the luck part. You can try finding out your motherboard but typically cost savings means it is not gonna support it. If you can find any information on your motherboard...or just get on Dell's website, there may be a BIOS update for it that would allow that CPU to be supported. You might have to reinstall the old CPU first though since you are having issues.

After doing quite a bit of research I found that people claimed that after updating the bios there were able to use the x9000 as the fastest CPU in that particular model laptop. Hope that helps.

It's the motherboard with the Nvidia graphics,and i have the latest bios..
I guess i'm good to buy a "new" T7250 then..

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
It wasn't clear in your original post why you replaced the CPU. I figured you did it just because you already had the other CPU laying around and wanted a bit more power. But then you asked about buying a "new" T7250, so did your laptop mess up and you tried replacing the CPU after that?

Jun 3, 2019
It wasn't clear in your original post why you replaced the CPU. I figured you did it just because you already had the other CPU laying around and wanted a bit more power. But then you asked about buying a "new" T7250, so did your laptop mess up and you tried replacing the CPU after that?

When i wanted to remove the T7250,i've folded a pin,but yes,i wanted a bit more power.. !

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
You can fold the pin back. There are youtube videos to show you how. Some people said that they were able to get the T9300 to work on their D630. But I am not too sure on how Dell refreshes their systems. And sometimes people can get a better CPU or motherboard from a batch.

I am guessing you made sure the CPU you attached was connected properly with no bent pins, new thermal paste was applied, and connection was tight?

If you tried all that and you are sure that both of the T9300s did not have issues prior to trying them, then I would suggest trying to fix the original CPU you were using before buying a new one.

Jun 3, 2019
When i wanted to fold the pin,he broke,but a T7250 is not expensive (10€).

The T9300 are tested prior sale,and everything okay,put some DG-5 thermal paste,sometime i can access the bios,but nothing to do

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
So you can only sometimes access the BIOS and other times it crashes first?

There is nothing to do in the BIOS (what do you mean)? Nothing shows up or it doesn't display the CPU correctly?

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
It showing the 2.5 GHz is actually correct because the T9300 is a 2.5 GHz CPU and the T7250 is only a 2 GHz CPU. I have tried looking into what is causing the crashing when others don't have the issue and it could be a variety of things.

Jun 3, 2019
Since others have it working fine I have to wonder if your motherboard CPU socket is damaged...have you thoroughly checked it?

It's worked fine before i change the CPU,i checked it,but if the socker was damaged,the CPU would not be detected,i'm wrong?
I've tried booting without RAM,the mobo beeped as execpted.

I really have no idea.. :(

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Even with a damaged socket it could start up fine sometimes. It depends on the extent of the damage. Same thing with the CPUs...they could work and then not work or just have one bad core and still work otherwise. It all depends.

I really wish I could help more but it looks like its pretty much ran its course. Since you were sure the bios was updated prior to trying the new CPU, it should have worked. Everything was installed correctly and double checked but still the issue.

You said the new CPU worked before but now having issues...I just really wish that there was another system to try the CPU in to know for sure. If you got the new CPU through eBay I would suggest a return if that is a possibility.

Honestly I had a Dell laptop my wife got for me when I was deployed and it ended up having non stop problems due to Dell's horrible drivers destroying the battery charging abilities and I never trusted them since then. I wish I could be of some actual help but aside from everything we went over I can't think of anything else that can be tried other than using another T7250. At least it should work fine again, and if it doesn't then it would lead to possibly be the CPU socket. It could even just be a loose wire inside the case causing the issue.

Jun 3, 2019
Even with a damaged socket it could start up fine sometimes. It depends on the extent of the damage. Same thing with the CPUs...they could work and then not work or just have one bad core and still work otherwise. It all depends.

I really wish I could help more but it looks like its pretty much ran its course. Since you were sure the bios was updated prior to trying the new CPU, it should have worked. Everything was installed correctly and double checked but still the issue.

You said the new CPU worked before but now having issues...I just really wish that there was another system to try the CPU in to know for sure. If you got the new CPU through eBay I would suggest a return if that is a possibility.

Honestly I had a Dell laptop my wife got for me when I was deployed and it ended up having non stop problems due to Dell's horrible drivers destroying the battery charging abilities and I never trusted them since then. I wish I could be of some actual help but aside from everything we went over I can't think of anything else that can be tried other than using another T7250. At least it should work fine again, and if it doesn't then it would lead to possibly be the CPU socket. It could even just be a loose wire inside the case causing the issue.
Bought it 14$,the return would be more expensive,i'll see for a new T7250.
But thanks for helping :)