[SOLVED] CPU LED was on, Problem resolved, should I be worried?

RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hello, this is my System:

2700X
MB: https://www.msi.com//Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/Specification

I recently found out about Nicehash and gave it a try, running it for about 36 hours. Windows task manager claims a load of about 70 %(temp below 70 C).
This morning the PC went "dead": MB light on, fans spinning, all coolers cold, no signal to monitor
+ CPU indicator on MB

Holding the power button on the case pressed didn't help, so I toggled the power switch on the PSU and could reboot.

I'm now worried what caused the Problem and if I should expect it to happen again / do something to fix it.

Note: I'm not planning on mining with the 2700X long term.

Last edited:
Solution
Things change when someone else pays your electricity bill ;)
Besides, my question is about the CPU health and not mining

The fact your system shut down and wouldn't turn on without a complete power reset is likely down to the psu not the cpu.

That said you should still be concerned about running a cpu full tilt for 36 hours straight.

Of course that will affect cpu life as will any extended heavy usage

I have no idea of the limits you can set on cpu/gpu usage with nicehash but would certainly not want to be running the whole system at close to 100% for extended periods of time, it's not cost efficient even removing electricity from the equation.

What are the rest of your system components??

PSU quality and case/cpu...
Considering I can make £0.80 per day with £1000 worth of cpu and gpu Nice hash quite simply isn't worth it. That only includes electricity costs not the actual stress put on system components.

You've already found out about that

So for £400 a year roughly I'd have to have a ryzen 7, 5700xt and my psu running pretty much 100% 24/7.

There's no profit to be had here, you missed the boat roughly 2 years ago.

RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Considering I can make £0.80 per day with £1000 worth of cpu and gpu Nice hash quite simply isn't worth it. That only includes electricity costs not the actual stress put on system components.

You've already found out about that

So for £400 a year roughly I'd have to have a ryzen 7, 5700xt and my psu running pretty much 100% 24/7.

There's no profit to be had here, you missed the boat roughly 2 years ago.

The fact your system shut down and wouldn't turn on without a complete power reset is likely down to the psu not the cpu.

That said you should still be concerned about running a cpu full tilt for 36 hours straight.

Of course that will affect cpu life as will any extended heavy usage

I have no idea of the limits you can set on cpu/gpu usage with nicehash but would certainly not want to be running the whole system at close to 100% for extended periods of time, it's not cost efficient even removing electricity from the equation.

What are the rest of your system components??

PSU quality and case/cpu cooling are the main concern.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS