Question CPU light on Motherboard is on, no post.

Jul 12, 2024
I made a mistake. I am attempting to build a budget system for a friend of mine, and ordered a used mobo/cpu combo off Ebay. I am working on a tight budget, so I have not gotten a case yet, but wanted to ensure the parts were functional. I got the PC to boot while sitting on a box. I did the windows install and began downloading the normal programs. I moved the system to get it away from the edge of my desk, and it froze. I shut down the power supply, and turned the system back on. It will not post, nor give any Mobo beeps. The CPU fan spins, and I get a CPU light. I am guessing I shocked the system and killed it. Which part is most likely to have died?

I have attempted reseating the CPU several times. I have attempted to clear CMOS several times. I have tried both known good ram and a known good power supply. I have also tried with and without the boot drive. I do not have another compatible mobo or CPU to test.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Intel I7-6700

MSI B150 Bazooka plus

Corsair Vengance LPX

Thermaltake Smart BX1 650

Samsung 970 Evo

triplex1

Great
Jun 2, 2024
I made a mistake. I am attempting to build a budget system for a friend of mine, and ordered a used mobo/cpu combo off Ebay. I am working on a tight budget, so I have not gotten a case yet, but wanted to ensure the parts were functional. I got the PC to boot while sitting on a box. I did the windows install and began downloading the normal programs. I moved the system to get it away from the edge of my desk, and it froze. I shut down the power supply, and turned the system back on. It will not post, nor give any Mobo beeps. The CPU fan spins, and I get a CPU light. I am guessing I shocked the system and killed it. Which part is most likely to have died?

I have attempted reseating the CPU several times. I have attempted to clear CMOS several times. I have tried both known good ram and a known good power supply. I have also tried with and without the boot drive. I do not have another compatible mobo or CPU to test.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Intel I7-6700

MSI B150 Bazooka plus

Corsair Vengance LPX

Thermaltake Smart BX1 650

Samsung 970 Evo
nothing has died, check all the cables, power and image, you moved something without realizing it.in any other case, if something dies, it will most likely be the power supply

Jul 12, 2024
nothing has died, check all the cables, power and image, you moved something without realizing it.in any other case, if something dies, it will most likely be the power supply
I have taken all connections out and replaced them several times already. What do you mean by image? I have also tried a different, known good power supply, and got the same behavior.

triplex1

Great
Jun 2, 2024
take out the power cable and let it sit for a while, then plug it in and try if it opens... from now on, look at your power supply