Question CPU light on motherboard

Apr 8, 2023
5th custom built first with Ryzen cpu

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5500
MSI B550 Gaming Pro
Gtx 2060
8gb Ballisix Ram (2 sticks but only have one in for testing)
PSU 850 GOLD NZXT

I have flashed to the newest bios same issue
I have flashed to a 5th gen compatible bios
I have resocketed and fix'd 2 bent pins (new to ryzen CPU)
every like 50 boots I get it to the bios screen otherwise it just fails and I would like to know what else I can do before I go to the shop on Monday and get some normal tests.
One of the Motherboard mounts is off kilter but I don't think that causes this

First of all, what do you mean by "off kilter", because a motherboard standoff not being PERFECTLY lined up with the corresponding standoff hole in the motherboard can ABSOLUTELY result in almost anything from nothing (If you're very lucky) to a completely smoked board if the standoff happens to be touching just the wrong spot in just the wrong way, and that's regardless of the fact that boards have conformal coatings on them these days. That coating is very thin and there are traces very close to the surface. It takes almost nothing to scratch through it and short to a trace. It can also be barely touching or any variety of other possibilities and what kind of effect it has depends entirely on WHAT it happens to be touching.

If it's not touching anything at all, it could STILL be a problem if it's not supporting the board and allowing something to flex, which itself could damage the board. Motherboards need to be installed in a very specific manner, for very specific reasons.

Knowing exactly what you mean by "off kilter" and SEEING it if possible, would be helpful, however, the fact that you bent two pins on your CPU is the most likely reason you are having problems. Even if you straighten the pins visually it doesn't mean, at all, that they didn't break their contacts below where you can see them and that happens about half the time at least. Short of simply getting another CPU I think your best bet is likely taking it to a shop and make SURE ahead of time they have a compatible CPU they can use in it to eliminate or convict the CPU. If not, go elsewhere. This is what they need to do is swap it out right off the bat since you already know you had bent pins. '

Be prepared as well for the possibility, while not an extremely high probability, that powering on a CPU that had two bent pins may have smoked one or more of the circuits or subsystems on the motherboard. That definitely is a possible extra bonus as well but it's usually just the CPU unless something catastrophic has happened.

Apr 8, 2023
First of all, what do you mean by "off kilter", because a motherboard standoff not being PERFECTLY lined up with the corresponding standoff hole in the motherboard can ABSOLUTELY result in almost anything from nothing (If you're very lucky) to a completely smoked board if the standoff happens to be touching just the wrong spot in just the wrong way, and that's regardless of the fact that boards have conformal coatings on them these days. That coating is very thin and there are traces very close to the surface. It takes almost nothing to scratch through it and short to a trace. It can also be barely touching or any variety of other possibilities and what kind of effect it has depends entirely on WHAT it happens to be touching.

If it's not touching anything at all, it could STILL be a problem if it's not supporting the board and allowing something to flex, which itself could damage the board. Motherboards need to be installed in a very specific manner, for very specific reasons.

Knowing exactly what you mean by "off kilter" and SEEING it if possible, would be helpful, however, the fact that you bent two pins on your CPU is the most likely reason you are having problems. Even if you straighten the pins visually it doesn't mean, at all, that they didn't break their contacts below where you can see them and that happens about half the time at least. Short of simply getting another CPU I think your best bet is likely taking it to a shop and make SURE ahead of time they have a compatible CPU they can use in it to eliminate or convict the CPU. If not, go elsewhere. This is what they need to do is swap it out right off the bat since you already know you had bent pins. '

Be prepared as well for the possibility, while not an extremely high probability, that powering on a CPU that had two bent pins may have smoked one or more of the circuits or subsystems on the motherboard. That definitely is a possible extra bonus as well but it's usually just the CPU unless something catastrophic has happened.
I just purchased both CPU and motherboard under warranty so I am prepared and will see on mon

Unfortunately it's unlikely (Although possible depending on who you purchased it through and how stringent their return process is) that you'll be able to return a CPU that was damaged due to user error during installation, such as one or more bent pins. That can never be anything other than user error and usually retailers as well as OEMs know to look for this. So that could go either way.

Motherboard, should be covered regardless. I'd be surprised though if it's inbuilt protections didn't prevent any problems which is likely why it won't even go past a certain point in the POST process on most attempts. Good luck on Monday, hopefully it will be better news than I've had for you.