CPU maxed out

qmcknight60

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I have a home built PC, first time I've built one. Its been having issues off and on, such as the memory causing repeated BSoD. I took it to professionals, and they said to set the speed to 2400 MHz. The problems are starting again though. CPU is reporting consistently 70-100% even when no programs are running other than Task Manager, and even opening steam causes it to freeze and eventually crash.

I hope I have accurate enough information on the build to help.

AMD Ryzen 3 1300x
Cryorig H7 cooler
AB350 Pro 4 motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaw V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz
1 TB Seagate drive
GTX 1050 Ti
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 power supply

I've run windows defender full scan and it came back with nothing, and all I really have on my computer right now are steam and MatLab (Both should be more than reputable enough)

Any ideas on how to get my computer to working order would be greatly appreciated.

qmcknight60

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

“Services” is listed as the top contender at about 25%, windows defender’s second at 20% ish, even though the scan I’ve done is over. Pretty much everything that’s taking up cpu just seems to be taking up more than it should, especially considering the fact that it is completely crippling my computer.

Whenever I let my laptop update (once every few months) it has to spend a few hours letting windows do its thing before the CPU and disk usage goes back down. You may have a clean install of windows, but Microsoft has to install all the subsequent updates for win10.

I would let it sit and download/run for a few hours, see what happens. You can view the update progress in settings, updates and security.

qmcknight60

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I somewhat doubt that that's the answer... Its been this way since yesterday afternoon, and it really feels like every process is far more drain on the system than they should be. Plus, updates shouldn't be taxing enough to entirely crash a computer, should they?