Question CPU Mhz drops when gaming

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
So in windows and everywear outside of gaming my mhz stays at 4600 ( default clock ) like it should, but entering a game it starts dropping down by coupple 100's.
This started today randomly after for hours trying to solve my pcs fps drops.
Cstats are dissabled in bios, and windows power plan is set to 100% on the prefformance.
i also tried to pure clock the cpu to 4600 dissabeling turbo boosts but nothing works.
Furthermore whenever i try to toggle hyperthreading on and off, while on in windows it still shows 8 cores, while before when it was on, it showed only 4.
But the setting says its on in bios..

Whats going on?

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
Hey there,

Please list your full PC specs, so we know what we are dealing with. Then we can better answer.
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.60GHz 48 °C 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
Skylake Technology
RAM
32,0GB
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B560M-A PRO (MS-7D20) (U3E1)
Graphics
ROG PG278QR (2560x1440@165Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 56 °C
Storage
59GB ADATA SP900 (SATA (SSD)) 59 °C
1788GB KINGSTON SA400S371920G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 60 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (Unknown (SSD))

CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.60GHz 48 °C 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
Skylake Technology
RAM
32,0GB
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B560M-A PRO (MS-7D20) (U3E1)
Graphics
ROG PG278QR (2560x1440@165Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 56 °C
Storage
59GB ADATA SP900 (SATA (SSD)) 59 °C
1788GB KINGSTON SA400S371920G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 60 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
What PSU, and what bios version?

Some MSI mobo's have issue with RTX cards. It's advised to have up to date bios to fix stuttering issues. This may be the cause.

Last edited:

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
Did you clear CMOS after bios update?

Although the recommended PSu for the 3080 is 750w, it doesn't factor in transient power spikes. For the RTX3080, these can be up to 550w (only for a split second). You might consider an 850w PSU down the line.
No i dident reset Cmos since i could just change settings in bios normaly.
I mean the MHZ on the cpu has been solid at 4600 for atleast 2-3 years, its not untill recently when ( only durring gaming ) it started to drop

No i dident reset Cmos since i could just change settings in bios normaly.
I mean the MHZ on the cpu has been solid at 4600 for atleast 2-3 years, its not untill recently when ( only durring gaming ) it started to drop
Clearing CMOS is important in terms of a bios update. It clears any remnants of microcode from the previous version which may hang around causing minor instability issues.

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
Clearing CMOS is important in terms of a bios update. It clears any remnants of microcode from the previous version which may hang around causing minor instability issues.

Just downloaded Prime95 and when i start it, mhz drops down from 4600 to 3200 and temp goes to 60... when i stop prime it goes back to 4600

@Cebiri
Run ThrottleStop and post a screenshot while your CPU is throttling.

Open the Limit Reasons window while the CPU is loaded to see if it is a power limit throttling problem. Also post a screenshot of the FIVR and TPL windows while you are having this problem.

Are you running any MSI CPU control center software on your computer? There was a bug where the power limits were being set to ridiculously low values which causes throttling during stress tests or games. The ThrottleStop TPL window should show this. You can also turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option so you have a record of CPU performance and any reasons for throttling. Start by uninstalling any MSI software.

The Task Manager should be showing 8 cores and 16 logical processors. If you do not see that, open msconfig and make sure the Number of processors box is not checked and then reboot. That box should never be checked.

yvtCaaA.png

Last edited:

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
@Cebiri
Run ThrottleStop and post a screenshot while your CPU is throttling.

Open the Limit Reasons window while the CPU is loaded to see if it is a power limit throttling problem. Also post a screenshot of the FIVR and TPL windows while you are having this problem.

Are you running any MSI CPU control center software on your computer? There was a bug where the power limits were being set to ridiculously low values which causes throttling during stress tests or games. The ThrottleStop TPL window should show this. You can also turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option so you have a record of CPU performance and any reasons for throttling. Start by uninstalling any MSI software.

The Task Manager should be showing 8 cores and 16 logical processors. If you do not see that, open msconfig and make sure the Number of processors box is not checked and then reboot. That box should never be checked.

yvtCaaA.png
It finds all cores and that setting is turned off.
I have been reaserching and testing things but so far this is my conclusions:
I can change xmp memory settings but any bios setting regarding CPU does not apply, if i try to dissable turbo or clock the cpu it does not apply on boot.
Durring stress test the cpu underclocks down to 3300 even tho 3600 is standard.

Guess ether mobo psu or cpu is broken in one way or another.

( no i dont run msi programs )

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
Like the moment cpu goes up to 60c it goes down to 3300-3600 mhz. All started aproximatly after latest bios update. So i assume ether psu or mobo is fked somehow :/

it goes down to 3300-3600 mhz
Where is a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open when this happens? What about the TPL window which shows what the turbo power limits are set to?

Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach maximum speed. You do not want to disable that.

Guess ether mobo psu or cpu is broken
Nothing is broken. Some setting in the BIOS is likely not set correctly or there is a bug where the BIOS is not setting the CPU up correctly. Use ThrottleStop to do some proper troubleshooting.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
Where is a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open when this happens? What about the TPL window which shows what the turbo power limits are set to?

Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach maximum speed. You do not want to disable that.

Nothing is broken. Some setting in the BIOS is likely not set correctly or there is a bug where the BIOS is not setting the CPU up correctly. Use ThrottleStop to do some proper troubleshooting.

Im not sure how to use throttlestop, do i just leave a ss of it or is there some kinda guide on how to do that stuff?

@Cebiri
You have a power limit throttling problem. The PL1 power limit is set to 100W. That is why your CPU cannot run at its full rated speed during a stress test.

Go in the bios and set the turbo power limits to the max, 4095W for PL1 and PL2.

After you do this, before running ThrottleStop, delete the previous ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. That way ThrottleStop will not use any settings that you might have accidentally saved. Post a screenshot of the TPL window after you reboot to make sure that the CPU is using the new power limits.

Last edited:

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
@Cebiri
You have a power limit throttling problem. The PL1 power limit is set to 100W. That is why your CPU cannot run at its full rated speed during a stress test.

Go in the bios and set your power limits to the max, 4095W for PL1 and PL2.

After you do this, before running ThrottleStop, delete the previous ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. That way ThrottleStop will not use any settings that you might have accidentally saved.
@Cebiri

Go in the bios and set the turbo power limits to the max, 4095W for PL1 and PL2.

After you do this, before running ThrottleStop, delete the previous ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. That way ThrottleStop will not use any settings that you might have accidentally saved. Post a screenshot of the TPL window after you reboot to make sure that the CPU is using the new power limits.
p.jpeg
p.jpeg
p.jpeg

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
@Cebiri

i think i may have found it, i changed 2 settings to 4000- ran new test, now it goes to 4300 mhz but the temp also goes to close to 100c....
1i3zowl.png