CPU, mobo, RAM upgrade? worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
the 6800GT is agp, and I had thought about selling it if I went through with it, but don't really know where to sell it at.

Would the raid stripe be useful? I could get another 300GB matching drive for a little over $100.

And what's so special about this Conroe? I keep seeing stuff about it supposedly being so sweet, but haven't ever seen any justification on why.
RAID offers greater data safety and performance.
With RAID two or more disks can work as one, writing or reading different or same data at once. With a stripe of the two disks you will achieve almost double of the bandwidth of one.

Special about Conroe is its architecture and as a result of it its performances and low-power consumation. I guess it will be the best and the most valuable choice when it arives.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel is replacing the P4, which always had performance problem, with an enhanced version of the PIII. That brings them closer in line with what AMD offers.

The enhancements Intel has applied are vast, the new processor actually outperforms AMD's current offerings. You'll get enhanced performance at less than half the power consumption.