[SOLVED] CPU+Mobo upgrade path

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Hello!

I think the time has come to upgrade my pc because it has started having trouble coping with gaming and all that

My current setup is this:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
MoBo: Asus x470 F-Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage: 1 M.2 1TB Samsung, and 2 1TB SSDs (1 Western Digital Blue and 1 Samsung Evo 870)

I think my GPU is more than adequate enough, especially in this market so I was thinking of upgrading one of three ways:

1) Go for VFM options and get a Ryzen 3600X/3700X/3800X, possibly with an X570 motherboard like MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

2)Go with a somewhat higher budget and grab a Ryzen 5800X with an X570-plus ASUS TUF Gaming motherboard

3) Switch teams and go with an Intel CPU/mobo comp to be decided

If I go for option 1 I could possibly get another 16GB of RAM to get to 32GB instead of upgrading to X570, but I am not sure if the performance boost from the 2600 to a 3600X/3800X will be markedly significant and hence worth the upgrade. I also do not want to have to upgrade my CPU again in a couple of years

Going Intel is something of a last resort solution, solely on the condition of similar performance for a significantly lower price

I would really like to hear some opinions on this and maybe some suggestions I have not considered

Edit: Also forgot to mention, system currently works on dual 24" FHD screens at 144HZ 1ms

Last edited:

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
I suppose I am wrongly including the nice-to-have factor in this part of the decision. Boils down to me thinking I am too bored to update all the BIOS versions I have not upgraded to so far, but not too bored to take the entire pc apart and rebuild-respec it

Sounds dumb even as I am writing it. I absolutely don't need PCIe 4 or usb 3.2 and won't see any real difference using them at this time.

I suppose I am wrongly including the nice-to-have factor in this part of the decision. Boils down to me thinking I am too bored to update all the BIOS versions I have not upgraded to so far, but not too bored to take the entire pc apart and rebuild-respec it

Sounds dumb even as I am writing it. I absolutely don't need PCIe 4 or usb 3.2 and won't see any real difference using them at this time.

For a 5800X you don't have to update but once: to the most recent BIOS for your board.

I agree that PCie 4 and USB 3.2 aren't nearly as cool as they sound.

Last edited:
Do you have a budget?

Seems to me that for gaming, a simple R5-5600X would do what you want.
12 threads is sufficient and the ipc boost would help gaming.
5800X is even better.
The single thread passmark rating of a r5-2600 is 2254.
5600x is 3382, 5800X is 3495.
If you want to go the intel 12th gen route, the i5-12600k, priced like a 5800x has 16 threads and a single thread rating of 4048.
You would need a Z690 based DDR4 motherboard so you could keep your ram.

Do you have a ram problem?
If so, do not try to add ram, you should be looking at a replacement kit.
Mixed ram is a problem, particularly with ryzen.

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
G.Skill says that I can add a second set of this RAM kit without any problem from what I read.
I was thinking 5800x over 5600x for futureproofing somewhat against future games using more multi-core processes, but that might still be further in the future than my next CPU upgrade

I don't have a budget per se, but I was thinking of keeping the shindig below like 600€ or so.

As stated above you will only have to update BIOS one time since every update includes changes from all previous versions.
I agree with going with the 5800 over the 5600 for your reasons. I did ones settle for I5 for just gaming performance but found out later that if I bit the bullet I7 would have lasted me longer.

G.Skill says that I can add a second set of this RAM kit without any problem from what I read.
I was thinking 5800x over 5600x for futureproofing somewhat against future games using more multi-core processes, but that might still be further in the future than my next CPU upgrade

I don't have a budget per se, but I was thinking of keeping the shindig below like 600€ or so.
I am surprised.
Was this a response from g.skil support?
From the g.skil FAQ:
We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

Please also note that the G.SKILL QVL applies to single kit compatibility only, so mixing two or more of the same memory kit is not recommended.

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
I am surprised.
Was this a response from g.skil support?
From the g.skil FAQ:
We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

Please also note that the G.SKILL QVL applies to single kit compatibility only, so mixing two or more of the same memory kit is not recommended.

The response was from G.Skill support, they said that for the particular kit I am looking into I will most likely have no problem, but I might need to run them in lower frequency than 3200 depending on die lottery. In general they don't recommend combining different kits because there is always the chance you get a really bad match and they don't actually work together. Especially with more budget models

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Supposedly the way it works is they test combination of dimms during manufacturing and the ones that work best together are sold as "kits". Doesn't mean that the rest don't work together, it just means the manufacturer doesn't guarantee it the way I understand it

If you do not get 3200 speed as advertised, you can sometimes get it if you increase the ram voltage in the bios as well as other specs manually.
Ram is only guaranteed to run at spec as a kit.
If it was capable of better, it would be sold as faster ram,
But, you can get lucky.