Question CPU, Motherboard, and Other Upgrades Advice

Mxkyle124

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

So I recently started upgrading my old computer, and was hoping for some advice on what I should get.... specifically what motherboard.

I was looking to get an i7 9700k but my current motherboard is not compatible (Gigabyte B250M-BS3H). So what would be the ideal motherboard to get for a reasonable price with decent performance still?

Other upgrades:
I'll need to upgrade my power supply to a 650w, and was looking at the Corsair CXM 650 + Bronze. Would this be a good buy?

Later on, I was planning on installing 16G of ram, from the 8G I have now, and was found the G. SKill 8x4 3200 mHz. Would this also be good?

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

What is your current CPU/Motherboard? If its older most likely it is a DDR3 RAM setup, meaning youll need to buy DDR4 RAM with a new CPU/Motherboard.

If price is more limited, or you just want to save money, I would seriously consider the Ryzen 3 series of CPUs such as the 3700, they are cheaper, perform very very similarly to the Intel chips and you typically get more cores/threads. Also the motherboards are usually cheaper. The X570 are still alittle pricey, but most of the B450 (last gen) come with updated BIOS and even if they dont many AMD boards can have their BIOS's updated without a CPU installed Such as the MSI B450 Tomahawk). The new B550 boards should be coming out soon as well.

Mxkyle124

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
What is your current CPU/Motherboard? If its older most likely it is a DDR3 RAM setup, meaning youll need to buy DDR4 RAM with a new CPU/Motherboard.

If price is more limited, or you just want to save money, I would seriously consider the Ryzen 3 series of CPUs such as the 3700, they are cheaper, perform very very similarly to the Intel chips and you typically get more cores/threads. Also the motherboards are usually cheaper. The X570 are still alittle pricey, but most of the B450 (last gen) come with updated BIOS and even if they dont many AMD boards can have their BIOS's updated without a CPU installed Such as the MSI B450 Tomahawk). The new B550 boards should be coming out soon as well.

My current CPU/Motherboard is an i5 7400 and a Gigabyte B250M-DS3H.
I recently upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super and was looking to upgrade my CPU next. However to do so, atleast for the i7 9700k like I want, I'd have to get a compatible motherboard and upgrade my power supply wattage, so was asking what would be the best choice for these components. :)