Cpu not detected....

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
OK this is gonna sound stupid but my brother decided it was a good idea to install a gpu whilst the system was still running now the cpu i snot detected and I cannot turn the machine off.... What do i do

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

The mobo seems okay since it has leds and they turn on when I boot the system everything runs fine the gpu runs fine the heatsink runs but there is an led which says the cpu is not detected so i reseated the cpu and have not tested it out yet as I need to get thermal paste.

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Ok will try

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Ok so I tried it and It will turn on but the cpu fan wont spin AT ALL and the led is blinking still. Is the fan broken or something the motherboard seems to work fine etc. Any ideas????

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Will try

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Nothing happened ..

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

The z170a has a feature which blnnks a red led to say if something is not detected and the cpu one is blinking, the fan will not spin it trys to but wont sstart, everything else works fine also, but i cannot power it off!!!!!!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Then I suspect either the power supply or the motherboard has fried. See if you can borrow from a friend their computer's power supply for testing (or, if you can, just go purchase a new one). See if you can get your system to power up (sans graphics card) with their power supply. If that does not work, then it's likely a fried motherboard and it will need to be replaced.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

How can you reseat the CPU if you can't power the system off?

-Wolf sends

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

I shut off the psu instead of powerin it off

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. If the motherboard is not accepting the shut down command when you hold the power button, then I would assume the motherboard to be faulty (still not sure about the power supply). I'd say your brother owes you a new motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Govind75

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

But when I press the power button it powers on and the mobo works everything else is detected... I wonder what it could be??