Question CPU not running at base speeds

JoshuaNelson1

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Hey guys, so i have a Ryzen 7 1700x and no matter what it runs at 2.20Ghz. Even in high intensive games it never runs above or below. Also i cannot change any cpu settings in Ryzen Master for some reason.

JoshuaNelson1

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Ok so i reset the bios and it didnt change anything. I was able to go into game mode on Ryzen Master but it still has my peak at 2.20ghz, even in intensive games. Any other ideas? The only thing changed is that my ram is set to 3000mhz rather than 2300mhz. Could that possibly effect it?

Starcruiser

Honorable
First generation Ryzen doesn't like high RAM clocks. They simply aren't designed for that. The AMD official site lists the max RAM speed as 2666 MHz for that CPU.
If you've got an XMP profile in that RAM for 2666 use that or less.
NOTE: This is solved as of second generation Ryzen

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Ok so i reset the bios and it didnt change anything. I was able to go into game mode on Ryzen Master but it still has my peak at 2.20ghz, even in intensive games. Any other ideas? The only thing changed is that my ram is set to 3000mhz rather than 2300mhz. Could that possibly effect it?
The idea of resetting CMOS is to see if your processor will run at it's default speed, which should be 3.4Ghz, at least. But to do that you can't make any changes in BIOS, it has to be at 'out of box' defaults. So reset memory settings to AUTO or defaults, or reset CMOS again if you've made a lot of changes.

Some other ways it would throttle back below it's default clock speed like that is if it's over-temping either itself or the VRM. Overtemping the VRM is certainly a possibility in a low-spec A320 board, but so is overtemping the CPU if the heatsink is poorly mounted or fan not working right.

Have you dusted your system out recently?

JoshuaNelson1

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Ok so i fully reset the bios, and reset the memory clock to 2100 instead of 3000. Still wont go above 2.20ghz even in intensive games. I recently upgraded my computer to these specs so the inside is clean and about 2 months old only. CPU is running at 32c so its never overheating. When i upgraded it i did install a new graphics card, cpu, ram, and motherboard. Ever since then, windows has not been activated so it isnt a clean install of it. Is there a chance i just got unlucky with a bad cpu?

Ok so i fully reset the bios, and reset the memory clock to 2100 instead of 3000. Still wont go above 2.20ghz even in intensive games. I recently upgraded my computer to these specs so the inside is clean and about 2 months old only. CPU is running at 32c so its never overheating. When i upgraded it i did install a new graphics card, cpu, ram, and motherboard. Ever since then, windows has not been activated so it isnt a clean install of it. Is there a chance i just got unlucky with a bad cpu?
Do you know what your processor temp is like?

Does your processor ever run at higher clock speed, as when idle or lightly loaded?

JoshuaNelson1

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
If you mean its temperature, it is 32 degrees Celsius. And the processor is always running at 2.20ghz, whether its idle, lightly loaded or heavily loaded. The bios version is f40

JoshuaNelson1

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
One other thing to add in case you've not yet... try reversing the setting for AMD Cool-n-Quiet. That is, set it to DISABLED if ENABLED or AUTO. The reason is, some mobo mfr's have gotten settings reversed in their BIOS.

It may not do the trick, but it's worth a try.
Cool n Quiet isnt a setting on my motherboard for some reason.