CPU or Memory ??

vipmohaned

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I am getting a new laptop and i am on a budget so it's either to get a 1.8 GHz/2MB core 2 duo with 2 Gb of RAM , or 2.0 GHz /4 MB with only 1 Gb of Ram ????
What Do u think ?

*Sorry For posting this where it doesn't belong * :oops:

airoh69

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I would reccomend the first choice. 2gb of ram is necessary for these days, escpecially if you are going with vista.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
That is a very tough call.On the one hand the extra L2 cache will help with certian apps like editing and video streaming.But then having 2 gigs of memory is also a good performance booster.I would suggest the 1.8gig with the 2 gigs of memory for now.You can always up grade the processor later,as I believe you'll benefit more from the extra memory now.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG SATA2 HD

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I am getting a new laptop and i am on a budget so it's either to get a 1.8 GHz/2MB core 2 duo with 2 Gb of RAM , or 2.0 GHz /4 MB with only 1 Gb of Ram ????
What Do u think ?

*Sorry For posting this where it doesn't belong * :oops:

What is cheaper....after all your only talking about 200 Mhz between them.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I would reccomend the first choice. 2gb of ram is necessary for these days, escpecially if you are going with vista.

Vista sucks.
Much more so on a laptop.

The 1 vs 2 GB of RAM is not that important as most laptops are not game machines.

Even my OC'ed game systems never need 2 GB of ram even though they all have it.
Then again I don't use Vista so I don't use 900 MB out of 2GB of ram just for the OS.

vipmohaned

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Both have the same price 75$ for either , I think I will go with the better processor as i can easily upgrade the memory later on .

And Thanks Everybody

fishbyer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
whats the problem with both?, they are easily worth $75 each way. I think if you really have to chose the processor money is better although more inconvenient as it boost your computer's maximum performance level, but without that much ram you might not have a good time on it besides surfing, opening word and an excel at the same time.....ie. you will wanna close these before going with a game or major program...

It's your call, processor power is faster for everything but won't speed things up much when you've got 8 programs open at the same time (including TSR's or the little program icons in the lower right hand corner).

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It's not really that hard but for most it's not worth the hassle. The upgrade path tend to be more limiting.

Also the extra cache wont matter much just look 2 vs. 4 at the same clock speed with desktop cpu's.

I would still go with the faster CPU and buy some 3rd party ram. Just make sure it's a single stick of whatever. Most laptops only have two slots. I would also discourage getting any laptop with a glossy screen as the suck outside.

As for Vista you will be much happier with 2Gb of ram, it will make a noticeable difference. If it has a memory card reader you could use that for ready boost.

Both have the same price 75$ for either , I think I will go with the better processor as i can easily upgrade the memory later on .

And Thanks Everybody
I total agree as memory is the cheapest and easier upgrade for the consumer. On the otherside tho if 2GB's is the max of the system I would go with the cheaper CPU and not upgrade.

-xyzak-

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I own a HP nx7400 with Core Duo (not C2D) running at 1,86 with 2 gigs of ram and one I got from work which is a Lenovo T60 with T7200 2GHz and 4MB L2 also 2 gigs ram.

The point is that there is no <i>noticable</i> difference in performance between those two computers. They <i>feel</i> equally fast and responsive. If You choose the faster proc buy the extra ram straight away because 1 gig could bog You down in Vista.