Question CPU Overheating - novice question

FozzyRFC

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi all
I know my way round PCs a bit - I mean, I know what's what and can change the odd part here and there. But - I need help in doing it if it's much more than that.

I have a problem with my PC since I had it built by someone 2 years ago, and the work I have coming up means I really need to solve this now.

It runs okay for day to day stuff like email and admin stuff but when it comes to anything more, I've clearly got a problem and I don't know how to fix it.

The CPU temperature appears to be too high and it's overheating, causing a BSOD/shutdown with things such as MACHINE_CHECK_EXEMPTION or sometimes CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT which I think are both temperature related?

So.. I downloaded core temp and have it running.

Right now, my 6 cores are 54-65 degrees as I'm typing this with nothing much else running.

If I start for example Valorant, the fan(s)? go a bit louder whilst I can see the temps rising briefly 72-85 degrees, but only for a few seconds. I don't know if that's normal.

But
Here's my big problem. I need Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder to be running for my work without all the crashing I'm getting.

In normal operation with Premiere running, if I open a project there's a brief rise in temperatures similar to seen with Valorant. Again, that might be normal? It's for a few seconds.

But...
Then I can do very little intensive stuff in Premiere itself. Any project with more than a couple of video layers and some moving stuff that requires rendering, crashes my PC most times. Occasionally it will crash whilst just preview playing the layers, and mostly it will crash whilst rendering.

On trying to render, the CPU temperatures rise dramatically. The fan(s?) are noisy and the temperatures are rocketing up thorough the 70s, 80s, some cores at 90+ and then once a core hits 100 it seems to crash (for safety, I assume)

So... Premiere is the big thing I can't do. If I research it, some people seem to suggest it's the software, but surely my PC should be able to cope with rendering stuff (even if it's slow to do it) without it nearly catching fire or blowing up?!

My issue is : I've no idea where to start with this, or how.....

If anyone out there feels like being patient with a non-expert, please can you step in with advice?

Thank you!

My PC specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K (3.9 GHz / 4.9 GHz, 12M Cache) - April 2022
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel LGA115x
Motherboard: AUS TUF GAMING Z590 PLUS WIFI BIOS ver 1017 (assuming i've done the lookup correctly)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-RAM 3600 MHz 2x 16 GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 980 1TB
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
PSU: unsure how to check, apologies April 2022
Chassis: NZXT H510, Compact ATX Mid-Tower PC Gaming Case
Monitor: BenQ GL2706PQ
Problems have been present since Day 1, not just since parts have got older

If you need aany more details, just say. And please be gentle with me - if some of those parts are not great, I'm only going on what I was advised would work.

Maybe they're not fitted properly?

Cheers for now...... *runs for cover* :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Noctua NH-L9i
https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-L9i-23/cpu/all?q=i5-11600K
I'm suspecting your case doesn't have proper ventilation/ariflow.

L9I is considered as unsuitable for a i5-11600K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/INTEL-Core-i5-11600K-1280
Your case can handle any of the better noctua coolers.
Look for one of the noctua NH-D15 variants.

If your case has two front intake fans, you should have no cpu cooling issues.

If you have not yet done so, update your motherboard to currency.
Updates often address stability issues.
The current bios is 1801:
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...esk_bios?model2Name=TUF-Gaming-Z590-PLUS-WIFI
CPU-Z will show you your current motherboard bios level.

Heat issues and throttling should not result in a crash.
The cpu should just lower performance until the issues is resolved.

I would uninstall the armoury crate app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
Have you opened it up to look at the CPU heat sink/fans? They may need a good dusting. Make sure your fans are working and spinning up to a proper RPM.

Also, if its been this way since day one, I would reapply thermal paste if you opt to replace the fan or heat sink.