[SOLVED] CPU overheating

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
On startup and idling without doing anything the cpu fan is at 1850 RPM and 43 degrees average and climbing 85 degree max. After game crashes I looked on hwmonitor and it reached 125 degrees max.. The processor is a few years old but not much use. Had no issues with my other motherboard just when i put in my x470 m7 ac one in. When I game after 20 mins I get power save come up on monitor and my tower continues and I can't use mouse and kboard or get it to come back without restarting. Any ideas? I fit the cooler on correctly and installed mobo correctly too. would a new aftermarket cooler be a good idea? Let me know your thoughts.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (not overclocked)
RX5700XT - gigabyte partner card
240gb SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
2x 16gb DIMM DDR4 @3600
x470 gaming m7 ac mobo
EVGA 650w QG

The max has gone up to 90 degrees and im just on chrome..

BIOS, drivers all updated.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Do you have the chance to try the CPU with another mainboard? Are you sure CPU fan really turning?

There are three components: 1. CPU 2. Mainboard 3. CPU fan.

The culprit is one of them if you applied the gel correctly. We can eliminate 3rd option for now.
Then it should be the CPU, do you have a friend with the same CPU, or a computer shop. You should test it.
And then we should also test the mainboard.

Let me say it is strange.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I put a pea sized amount in centre of chip and put the fan heat sync down on it and screw in opposites the screws little by little until snug. The fans definitely going very fast like on much earlier I could put my finger on centre of fan and stop it easily but now I couldn't even stop it and its a lot louder than usual. So yeah its spinning alright on start up in Bios it read the cpu fan was 1850 RPM. The heatsync never gets as hot as the temperature it indicates its not working or is it impossible for the radiator to stop absorbing heat properly somehow. The gel I used was ARCTIC MX-2 Thermal Compound Paste has very good ratings on amazon at least. I'll set up the second system tomorrow.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Ok put CPU in second system its really quiet and temperatures not going crazy... So its not the CPU's fault.. Could it be because ive overclocked my memory on my original pc? Should I clear cmos see if that helps?

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
what cooler r u using? i will suggest u to reseat the cooler again, clean the previous thermal paste completely and apply a fresh layer of thermal paste ; i wud suggest u getting the coolermaster mastergel maker... also make sure the cooler is seated properly...
I've done that like a dozen times already. And setting it up and have it working fine on other system shows its a mobo issue. I'm using stock cooler.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I got it from Amazon as a warehouse deal was half price will just get a refund and stick with old working one. may get something from black Friday sales if i see anything. Thanks for all the help though. Im going to try out the B450 Tomahawk Max and got the aftermarket cooler: Freezer 34 eSports DUO. Will send back the 470x tomorrow.

Last edited: