Question CPU overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
System Information:
  • Corsair CX750F RGB, 750 Watt, 80 PLUS Bronze, Fully Modular RGB Power Supply
  • EK 240mm AIO Cooler, D-RGB All-in-One CPU Cooler with EK-Vardar High-Performance PMW Fans, Water Cooling Computer Parts, 120mm Fan, Intel 115X/1200/2066, AMD AM4
  • ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi 6) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS FlashBack, HDMI 2.1, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and AURA Sync)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Ryzen 9 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000061WOF
This is a new build. I keep getting overheating errors for my CPU which leads to a shut down.

I have tried reseating the processor which new thermal paste. My cooler is plugged into the AIO port of my mother board. No luck.

When I entered the bios, it said that the AIO port speed was N/A.

My temperature doesn't spike immediately but slowly creeps up. It starts at about 60C and then climbs. I wonder if the pump is actually working but I am not sure how to test. I have tried to plug the pump into another fan header which doesn't help.

When I was building this bad boy on pc part picker, it said I would need to update the BIOS given the motherboard and processor I was using.

Is it possible that my overtime is due to a bios problem? If so, I may be effed because I started to update the bios but the overheating causes a shutdown.

I would appreciate any insight or suggestions that anyone can give.

Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if the pump is actually working but I am not sure how to test.
While the system is running and under a load(bare with the temperatures for a bit), feel both tubes. You can use either Cpu-Z's stress test, or Cinebench R23.
Flow is good: no real discernible difference, or a slight one, can be felt between them.
Flow is poor: you can clearly tell one tube is warmer/cooler than the other.

If so, I may be screwed because I started to update the bios but the overheating causes a shutdown.
Does the board still function? Do not try to update the bios until you get the temperature sorted out. Interrupting a bios update is an easy way to brick a motherboard.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
While the system is running and under a load(bare with the temperatures for a bit), feel both tubes. You can use either Cpu-Z's stress test, or Cinebench R23.
Flow is good: no real discernible difference, or a slight one, can be felt between them.
Flow is poor: you can clearly tell one tube is warmer/cooler than the other.

Its a new build so I do not have an operating system on yet. When I boot into the bios, it depends on how things are going but it will only stay on for a minute or so because it shuts down because of overheating.

I will try to feel the difference but last time I didn't notice much of anything in the tubes as far as differences.

Does the board still function? Do not try to update the bios until you get the temperature sorted out. Interrupting a bios update is an easy way to brick a motherboard.

Board seems to be ok.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sitting in bios is only a slightly higher load than sitting on the desktop doing nothing, so that won't really help you test the flow of the coolant.
The cpu should shut off on you at 90C, if it stays there long enough.

Do you have another cooler on hand to try out?

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
Sitting in bios is only a slightly higher load than sitting on the desktop doing nothing, so that won't really help you test the flow of the coolant.
The cpu should shut off on you at 90C, if it stays there long enough.

Do you have another cooler on hand to try out?

Thats what I am hunting for now.

This is the first build I have had this issue with. It seems like the cooler is defective. But am willing to try anything anyone suggests.

Thanks again.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
So i just bought a new cooler and now the dang backplate wont seat. Although, i am not as familiar with these because all of the other motherboards I have used have never needed a backplate.

Does a back plate attach via screws or adhesive?

I noticed that my back plate seems to have a removable sheet of thin plastic which is reminiscent of an adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
Does the manual tell you to remove this adhesive layer?

What is the new cooler?

Honestly these manuals suck. I am not even sure where the backplate came from...I assume the motherboard. It just assumed that I knew to put the backplate on somehow. lol

New cooler is

CORSAIR - iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX CPU Cooler - Black

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
For the AM4 socket, a number of coolers just have you continue to use the backplate and 2 retention bars that came with the motherboard.
This applies to the H150i cooler here.

Is there a more detailed tutorial around?

The backplate fits but when I screw in the standoff screws there is a lot of slack, meaning the plate isn't snug against the motherboard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not. I looked at the online manual, plus I'm a little familiar with it due to having assembled my old D15S on a B450 board; the D15S also uses the mobo backplate.

The backplate is symmetrical, and only fits vertically. The 4 screws should be passing/threading through the backplate as you're securing them to the board. If the backplate feels loose against the mobo, you haven't gone far enough... or are using the wrong screws?

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
Probably not. I looked at the online manual, plus I'm a little familiar with it due to having assembled my old D15S on a B450 board; the D15S also uses the mobo backplate.

The backplate is symmetrical, and only fits vertically. The 4 screws should be passing/threading through the backplate as you're securing them to the board. If the backplate feels loose against the mobo, you haven't gone far enough... or are using the wrong screws?

I agree that the screws don’t go far enough but I’m using the ones specified in the cooler manual that are for my given chip. I could try the others but k was afraid they wouldn’t allow a tight seating for the heat sink.

If you tried screwing in the Intel standoffs into the Amd backplate you could have damaged the threads.

That could be 1 explanation on the Amd screws now not going into the backplate as far as they should now.

This a better view of how it should look and maybe a more simplfied instructs.
All above the video pertains to the am4 mounting.
The video looks like intel so don't bother unless you ever go with intel.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/a...-Compatibility-and-Bracket-Installation-Guide

Last edited:
On 1 of my Fx mobo's that still used the standoffs mount the backplate was lose when the standoffs could not be tightened any more.
I used Nylon washers that fit over the threaded backplate nubs then screwed in the standoffs which fixed the issue.

So washers in between backplate and backside of mobo.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022

I am using the screws that came with the cooler for this specific chip.

I have attached a few pics to illustrate what is going on. If you notice, you are correct that the screws don't go far enough to secure the backplate but they are all the way in.

Also, you can see in the close ups...the plate has about 1-2mm of give even with the screws secured.

Full-Size-Render-2.jpg

Full-Size-Render-3.jpg

Full-Size-Render.jpg

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
You reuse the original hardware that came with the motherboard.[Crosslhs82x2 already posted an image of it.] Standoffs are used for Intel LGA and Threadripper sTR4, but not AM4.
You reuse the original hardware that came with the motherboard.[Crosslhs82x2 already posted an image of it.] Standoffs are used for Intel LGA and Threadripper sTR4, but not AM4.

See pic below from manual of cooler.

This is the confusing part. If I use the CrossIhs82x2, how does the heatsink secure to the mother board?

IMG-4005.jpg

When you install the cooler and tighten the pump/block screws it will pull the backplate into the motherboard and in turn pull the block onto the CPU.

The backplate will be loose/floating until you attach the cooler.

Or use the AMD bracket and original mount as stated above.

Last edited:

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
When you install the cooler and tighten the pump/block screws it will pull the backplate into the motherboard and in turn pull the block onto the CPU.

The backplate will be loose/floating until you attach the cooler.

Or use the AMD bracket and original mount as stated above.

Tried that. No luck.

The issue isn't the pump/block screws its the stand off screws not going far enough into the mounting plate.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
See pic below from manual of cooler.

This is the confusing part. If I use the CrossIhs82x2, how does the heatsink secure to the mother board?

IMG-4005.jpg
Umm... the crap? That's not in the online manual AT ALL. That manual is possibly out of date, or works for AMD motherboards that adopted Intel LGA socket spacing(mainly prebuilts do this).
So that's where all this confusion is coming from...

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
Umm... the crap? That's not in the online manual AT ALL. That manual is possibly out of date, or works for AMD motherboards that adopted Intel LGA socket spacing(mainly prebuilts do this).
So that's where all this confusion is coming from...

This is the most pain in the butt build that I have ever done.

I purchased some neoprene spacers and that seems to have done the trick. The spacers allow the backplate to be secure without messing with the height of the standoff screws.

I will check all the manuals just to make sure.

Do you think that would work with the spacers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sorry I suggested checking the manual... I did not expect this.
Use the backplate and the retention bars + screws that came with the motherboard,
Use the bracket, thumbscrews, and screw clips shown on page 10 of the online manual, and install them as shown on pages 13, 15, and 16.

I've no idea if those spacers would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.