Question CPU Performing Below Expectations?

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hello, I was having a problem with my CPU overheating, I noticed it was thermal throttling at 90 degrees Celsius when I run very CPU intensive programs. I first noticed this when using Prepar3D flight simulator (very CPU intensive) and I happen to have a monitoring tool open. I ran Novabech to test my pc and in the results, it said my CPU was performing below expectation. I opened up my case and realized the top screw of the CPU cooler was loose, so I tightened it. I booted up my PC again and ran Novabench, now it still says my CPU is performing below expectations, but it is no longer thermal throttling, though it is still running hotter than I would like.

I've had this setup for about 4 years without any issues until now. I didn't realize the cooler screws would loosen over time and I honestly don't check my CPU temps as often as I should, so I'm not sure how long the cooler has been so loose. I have a Ryzen 5800X, I have a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and I originally used Noctua thermal paste. My motherboard is an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. I have ordered some new thermal paste to apply and I'm just waiting for it to arrive, I'm hoping this will solve the issue but I wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions of what might be wrong (if it's more than just the paste) or any advice for further troubleshooting.

I am (very desperately) hoping that there is no damage to the CPU or the motherboard socket. I mention these because the cooler I have is so big and heavy, I am wondering if having it hanging by just the bottom screw (it has one on top, one on bottom) could have damaged them.

Last edited:
include the complete system specs with the make & model of all components.

also include the overall system cooling setup with the layout, orientation, and model of all case fans.

you may want to wait until after you've replaced the thermal paste and reinstalled the cooler to further stress the system and continue troubleshooting.
it's likely the paste has been compromised in the previous situation.
wondering if having it hanging by just the bottom screw (it has one on top, one on bottom) could have damaged them.
you would be able to tell if the screws fit into their proper positions and hold tightly while screwing them in.

if they do not hold tightly in position and remain there then the threads of the tapped hole or the screw(s) itself may have been damaged.

Reactions: Kalnon

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
System Specs

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series (Full ATX)
Fans: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 RPM x 6
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600Mhz CL25
PSU: Seagate Focus 850 Watts

Drives

ADATA XPG Gammix S11 1TB NVMe x 2
Western Digital Blue 2TB SSD x 2
Western Digital Black 4TB HDD
Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD
LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support DVD RW (Optical Drive)

The orientation of the case is the normal upright position. There are two fans in the front of the case that suck air in, three in the top of the case that blow out and one in the back that also blows out.

Both of the screws of the CPU cooler stay in firmly now that I've tightened it. I think it just slowly came loose over time due to natural vibrations of running a PC and partly due to the fact the cooler is so big and heavy. It stays firmly in place now.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Update: Well, I have good news and bad news after applying the new paste. My temps are back to normal now but the CPU is still performing below expectations, not only that, I realized it says "significantly" below expectations though it does bench a bit higher now. I guess my worst fears are true, something wrong with the CPU or motherboard. I'm not sure what else it could be. I was thinking of bringing my CPU to a PC repair shop and having them test it in a different machine to see if it is the CPU or not. One thing I find a bit strange though is Novabench says my PC still benches higher than 73% of systems tested which seems a bit high for having a CPU that is performing so badly.

I cannot address your question regarding damage. You would need to supply close up pictures of high quality.

I am unfamiliar with Novabench. After checking their site you CPU score is very poor.

Because you mentioned gaming, I suspect most of us are much more familiar with 3DMark. Some of it's benchmarks are free. And after running benchmarks you will get a link to show how your CPU and GPU placed among many thousands of others that ran these self tests.

If you download, install and run 3DMark please provide a link so we can look at your scores. Fire Strike benchmark is the most demanding in the free version. If you want a more demanding benchmark from them you will need to pay for it, the benchmarks come in module form and you can pick and chose what you want when paying. I believe Time Spy is still very popular. They also have a CPU Profile benchmark (it uses the CPU to create images).

Free: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/futuremark-3dmark-timespy-raytracing/

3DMark web site: https://www.3dmark.com/