Oct 21, 2018
SPECS:

MSI B550 GAMING PLUS latest bios
RYZEN 5 5600x
XFX SWFT 6700xt
850w CORSAIR RM
32 GB CORSAIR VENGENCE 3200mz
WD BLUE SSD

So, I've been having issues with this system. Packages (wattage, power) on both cpu and gpu dipping to zero. MOSFET transistors overheating ? no. CPU or GPU thermal throttling? no. I originally had a 500 watt power supply and just replaced it. The 850w Gold Plus Corsair seems to have made things more stable but when running a stress test in adrenaline I will occasionally see the gpu as well as the cpu dip to 0 clock and 0 watts, this is all while gpu, cpu mosfet, all other temps are not even close to thermal throttling temp. It got a 11855 score on 3dmark, but 3dmark and all other benchmark software don't seem to agitate the system enough to get a complete dip in power.

Now here is the interesting part. I've been using hwmonitor and msi afterburner to troubleshoot this system. I installed hwinfo and am now seeing the cpu is over reporting its power consumption by a long shot. I wish I would have done this about 5 days ago it would have saved me around 40 hours of my life and literally 50 clean installs of windows but nevertheless. This would make sense as to why I've been having these issues. I am thinking the system is throttling power not due to thermals but over reporting of power consumption.

picture on imgur here

any suggestions while I search far and wide on google.

EDIT: It looks like my framerate is solid and instead I am having issues with frame time, oh well.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"cpu is over reporting its power consumption by a long shot. "

What power do you expect the CPU to be reporting?

Specs indicate Power Consumption to be 65 Watts.

Reference:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.508454.0.html

[Do verify that I referenced the correct CPU.]

What specific CPU wattage reading(s) are you referring to?

I see the deviation %'s in the posted imgur picture.

However, I am wondering how the %'s are calculated?

Any explanations or additional information via HWInfo?

And the CPU may not be over reporting its' wattage. Listed product/device wattages are often determined under ideal circumstances.

Thus making the wattage ideally lower or higher as warranted.

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
This:

"cpu is over reporting its power consumption by a long shot. "

What power do you expect the CPU to be reporting?

Specs indicate Power Consumption to be 65 Watts.

Reference:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.508454.0.html

[Do verify that I referenced the correct CPU.]

What specific CPU wattage reading(s) are you referring to?

I see the deviation %'s in the posted imgur picture.

However, I am wondering how the %'s are calculated?

Any explanations or additional information via HWInfo?

And the CPU may not be over reporting its' wattage. Listed product/device wattages are often determined under ideal circumstances.

Thus making the wattage ideally lower or higher as warranted.
View: https://imgur.com/TeMReOK

HWinfo says a deviation up or down of 10% from 100% is to be of concern and I'm averaging 150% at full load.

and that is the correct cpu.

Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO | HWiNFO Forum

and under full load the cpu is at 70 watts so motherboard bios interprets ~130 according to hwinfo and I'm guessing that maybe hopefully bios settings can change this nothing yet.

SPECS:

MSI B550 GAMING PLUS latest bios
RYZEN 5 5600x
XFX SWFT 6700xt
850w CORSAIR RM
32 GB CORSAIR VENGENCE 3200mz
WD BLUE SSD

So, I've been having issues with this system. Packages (wattage, power) on both cpu and gpu dipping to zero. MOSFET transistors overheating ? no. CPU or GPU thermal throttling? no. I originally had a 500 watt power supply and just replaced it. The 850w Gold Plus Corsair seems to have made things more stable but when running a stress test in adrenaline I will occasionally see the gpu as well as the cpu dip to 0 clock and 0 watts, this is all while gpu, cpu mosfet, all other temps are not even close to thermal throttling temp. It got a 11855 score on 3dmark, but 3dmark and all other benchmark software don't seem to agitate the system enough to get a complete dip in power.

Now here is the interesting part. I've been using hwmonitor and msi afterburner to troubleshoot this system. I installed hwinfo and am now seeing the cpu is over reporting its power consumption by a long shot. I wish I would have done this about 5 days ago it would have saved me around 40 hours of my life and literally 50 clean installs of windows but nevertheless. This would make sense as to why I've been having these issues. I am thinking the system is throttling power not due to thermals but over reporting of power consumption.

picture on imgur here

any suggestions while I search far and wide on google.
This first image shows that you have an PPT setting of 76W,
you have max power draw of 76 and it shows this as ppt of 100%

The 5600 should have a ppt limit of 88W, go into bios and change the ppt setting, while you are there take screen shots of everything and show them here for people to go over them incase there are other things wrong as well.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

HWinfo says a deviation up or down of 10% from 100% is to be of concern and I'm averaging 150% at full load.

and that is the correct cpu.
Have you made any overclocking changes, mainly to PBO settings like PPT, EDC or TDC whether in BIOS or using Ryzenmaster? If so, that will throw off the Power Reporting Deviation readings, making them invalid.

It's only going to be meaningful if the system is set up in full stock settings (as after a CMOS reset) while running an all-core heavy workload like a Cinebench scene rendering. That only makes sense because the intended purpose is to help determine if the motherboard mfr. has altered power consumption reported to the processor to make it perform better in some benchmarks when set up in BIOS stock settings.

Last edited:

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
That value only means anything if you are currently on 100% all core load
Otherwise you can ignore it
See here: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...er-reporting-deviation-metric-in-hwinfo.6456/

Higher than 100% = The motherboard is telling the CPU that it is consuming more power then it actually is
it is indeed throttling the CPU
avg deviation is %150 at full load.
Post #4, "Explanation" link....

Interesting.

I am going to move this thread from Systems to CPU.

There may be additional comments and suggestions forthcoming.
welp turns out I'm a tad bit stupid. Power Deviation stuff doesn't matter because I didn't understand what full load is exactly, and under full load the deviation is fine. I'm not even having frame rate issues its frame time issues most likely due to that I just have a <Mod Edit> monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
Have you made any overclocking changes, mainly to PBO settings like PPT, EDC or TDC whether in BIOS or using Ryzenmaster? If so, that will throw off the Power Reporting Deviation readings, making them invalid.

It's only going to be meaningful if the system is set up in full stock settings (as after a CMOS reset) while running an all-core heavy workload like a Cinebench scene rendering. That only makes sense because the intended purpose is to help determine if the motherboard mfr. has altered power consumption reported to the processor to make it perform better in some benchmarks when set up in BIOS stock settings.
thanks for the reply got it figured out

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
Last edited: