Question cpu randomly throttles to .38 Ghz for 20-30 seconds then goes back to normal while play games

Jun 29, 2022
pc specs
ASUS TUF A17
win 10
ryzen 7 5800H
rxt 3050 TI laptop
16gb ddr4

this problem started within the past week been using this computer for about a month and a half games will play fine for the first minute or two then cpu will drop from 3.7 ghz to .38 cores start to max out and cpu wattage drops from 25-30 to 8-10 for 20-30 seconds before coming back for a few minutes then repeats the cycle does anyone have a fix when playing the game normally my cpu is at 40% cap at 75 C and gpu is 25% at 65 C. anyone now what would cause this?

Jun 29, 2022
no my frames drop to around 10 fps from a perfect 60 for 20 - 30 seconds through the duration of the throttling when i was playing so i started investigating and this is what ive come up with im just unsure how to proceed through processes of elimination ive ruled out the GPU as it doesn't fluctuate during the throttle and i dont believe its the power supply due to the power going right back to normal the cpu also is only at 75 C so it should be thermal throttling I'm gonna try other games tonight and see if the issue persists through similarly intensive games.

i have also been playing this game since i got the computer and at a higher graphic setting at that and never had the stutter/ freeze before i got a new monitor so im also gonna test if the monitor has anything to do with it though i doubt that.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you need to test it more to possibly find out as of why it happens. Could be thermals, could be automated Win update, reasons for that are several.

Now, under idle load, CPU frequency dropping is completely normal, since when PC doesn't need that much CPU frequency, it can drop the frequency, to reduce power consumption and heat production. E.g my i5-6600K, has 3.5 Ghz base clocks and up to 3.9 Ghz Boost clocks, while when on idle, my CPU frequency drops as low as 0.8 Ghz (800 Mhz). But CPU should not do it while under load, whereby the task it does, then suffers from it.

Oh, what Event Viewer says during CPU frequency drops? Namely "Windows Logs -> System" subsection.

Also, you said that this started to happen within the past week. Question is: what changed at that moment? Did you updated something? Installed some new software (including games)?