[SOLVED] CPU rattles in socket

May 15, 2020
Hello, I wanted to uninstall the stock cooler on my amd ryzen 5 3600 cpu and replace it with a simple water cooling system, when I unscrewed the stock cooler, the cpu was stuck on the cpu fan itself, I slowly heated up the heatsink and got the cpu out fo there and checked if there are any bends on the cpu it self, but there was no bends, after I cleaned the CPU from the greasy thermal paste, i wanted to put it back in the motherboard, when I lifted the lock up, and tried to place the cpu gently, it wouldn't fit perfectly, rather it would get in but it would rattle side to side, I will provide you two gifs of the cpu pins, and the 'rattle' itself.
https://giphy.com/gifs/f6bSmTUYSngQ3cJxAD

Solution
how do i exactly know if the problem itself is from the socket?
It's not easy...but what I do is play that old Sesame Street game 'which one of these is not like the others'. When looking at them you want uniformity; if one or several in a row don't conform that's something to be suspicious of. Examine the socket both with the lever closed and with it wide open. The way the CPU was rocking around I'd suspect one of the sockets has a mis-aligned 'blade' that's holding it up in the air a bit by the pin.

Also look at how the socket itself behaves as you close the lever and open it.
That 'rattle' does not look right to me! Are you matching the 'triangle' on CPU and socket?

The pin GIF only looks down the rows in one direction...look down both to see if any pins are out of alignment in the other plane of viewing.

You can also CAREFULLY pass a credit card between the rows; it should straighten up any slightly misaligned pins. But it can snag any seriously misaligned ones and bend them further, so be careful.

Finally..have you looked at the socket itself? with a bright light shining at an angle look into the socket holes. The metal in the sockets should reflect light and the bad one will reflect a little differently or not at all.

IN the future heat up the CPU first (running a stress test or something) then shut down and slightly twist the heat sink/water block back and forth a few times to break the paste's bond before pulling up to remove from the CPU.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020
Yes, Im matching the triangle on cpu and socket.
I've looked from all directions on the cpu itself, the pins are not bent, thats for sure.

It's not easy...but what I do is play that old Sesame Street game 'which one of these is not like the others'. When looking at them you want uniformity; if one or several in a row don't conform that's something to be suspicious of. Examine the socket both with the lever closed and with it wide open. The way the CPU was rocking around I'd suspect one of the sockets has a mis-aligned 'blade' that's holding it up in the air a bit by the pin.

Also look at how the socket itself behaves as you close the lever and open it.

Solution